Gallstones

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Gallstones

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:59 pm

Can anyone let me know what im in for :roll: :(

Been to GP looking like iv galstones, had severe pain through chest to mid back and felt like my ribs were in cramp, never had such severe pain like it!! :yikes:

Got bloods and a scan to look forward to and some stronger pain killers.

I fear being operated on so thats gonna make me happy eh! :roll:

:too-upset: :too-upset: :too-upset: :too-upset: :too-upset: :too-upset:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Re: Galstones

Postby whoami » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:40 pm

Lisa, If you have gall stones it is good that you are being dealt with sooner. I kept blaming that pain on IBS, fibro, not gallstones. Even when I had been vomiting blood ( looks like coffee grounds) for months I ignored it. When I was admitted, I had emergency surgery within the hour.
If you have stones it can be treated without surgery. If you need surgery and it is not an emerg, it is quite a simple surgery. You will likely have an ultrasound done to see if you have them or not.

Lisa, don't stress over it. Let us know how you get on. Xx
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby zappa20 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:09 am

Unless it's complicated they tend to take them out via Laporoscopy surgery which is a minimally invasive and a fairly simple routine procedure. So try not to worry about it.

I'd no problem with the actual surgery .It's an in and out the next day sort of surgery. Most people have little pain from the procedure afterwards , as it's just 3 small incisions which are made, so there's no large painful wound to deal with. I didn't need any painkillers offered afterwards. They did mess up my insulin routine which wasn't so good , and I'd a sore throat for a couple of days as the anaesthetist must have been a bit forceful with the intubation procedure.

Hopefully you'll be the same. As Whoami said I'd an ultrasound which showed them, although that wasn't what they were actually checking me for at the time. The consultant said mine had to come out to prevent a problem with the pancreas later, which he said type 1 diabetics can be prone to develop. so mine was more routine removal than anything else.

I do seem to get heartburn now which I never had before removal . Not sure if that's a common after effect or not.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:38 am

Thanks for the information. I have had a laproscopy before.

GP says only a few week wait for scan. I told her that its pain on top of pain and each attack completely wipes me out so hopefully it can be delt with asap :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby whoami » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:58 am

Lisa, while waiting, cut out irritants such as alcohol that will cause lots of pain. If it is gallstones, you likely already know what sets things off.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:47 pm

Thanks, although luckily i never drink, just hate the taste so for me its looking at the fat content in foods and avoiding anything fatty which will set it off.
*Lisa*

Postby denys » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:40 pm

Hi Lisa, my Lucy had her Gallbladder out and although she hurt afterwards, once she got over the op she was like a new person, the pain is so horrendous that the relief of it going has got to be worth the op. However as others have said sometimes they can sort it without surgery but either way I hope the scan comes through quickly and they can get you some relief as soon as possible :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: some virtual [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] too :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Karou » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:47 pm

Hi Lisa,

Sorry to hear about possible gallstones.

I've had my gallbladder taken out via keyhole surgery and was in and out of hospital the same day.

The painkiller I was given was codeine, up to 60 mg with paracetamol when I felt an attack coming. After surgery they changed it to tramadol because there can sometimes be an intolerance to codeine after gallbladdersurgery they said.

If you can, try and stay away from greasy food. That included chocolate for me lol Also, caffeine and spicy food can trigger an attack.
After surgery, I had to stay away from these foods as well and cut out wheat and dairy. I can now tolerate small amounts again but got diagnosedwith IBS. No fun but still a lot better than the stones.

It took me longer than expected to recover but I've been struggling for ages and had to have antibiotics. Which means I'm not the best example.

Having said all that, they might give you something else to try first. Maybe mention Fibro and ask about other options?
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:28 am

Thanks karou,

Off for my bloods today and still awaiting a scan date :roll:

Im finding fatty foods trigger, chocci on other hand doesnt :mrgreen: :lol: but not living off much in worry of an attack.
*Lisa*

Postby Karou » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:27 pm

:-D Lucky you, I missed choccy.

Just remembered, I used to eat rusks. Yep, those big round baby biscuitsthat can be made into baby porridge. Maybe worth a try lol

I hope you won't have to wait too long for the scan. :goodluck1:
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:32 pm

Oh how I love those Rusks. I can remember being a kid and pinching them out of the pantry. Sometimes the baby would want one and there would be none left.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Re: Gallstones

Postby *Lisa* » Fri May 02, 2014 6:25 pm

UPDATE:

Had my scan today and the Radiogropher confirmed gallstones :( :roll: I have made an appointment with a GP whom is also apparently up to date with back problems & fibro who is my appointed GP but never seen him only others.

Odd thing i noticed and not sure if its connected but my right side has always been the worst with pain especially around the rib cage and around the right shoulder :-? well when the man scan my sides each time he hit on a trigger point/tender point area he stopped and took a picture :shock: :shock: :shock: and spent more time on it :-? now im wondering if these tender areas were because of gallstones :dunno:

I must say that these past few weeks have been just awful. Im now vomiting and shaking on attacks and vertualy eat anything now with fear of an attack which i suppose in a way helps me to loose weight ready for surgery as i am obese :oops: already lost 2 n half stone which was the cause of the stones would you believe :shock:

Im gonna ask for some morphine to keep at home to prevent an A&E visit as pain attacks are lasting longer and more severe and i cannot cope as its pain on top of pain and end up in bed for days after feeling like my insides and out have been crushed and twisted :( plus the exhaustion and fatigue :roll:

I have an intense fear of surgery as iv had an op go wrong before :evil: i was that 1 in a million *chance* :waiting: thats my s* luck :crazy: but in a way as its so so bad surgery isnt the focus and forefront of it atm thank gawd....

So lets hope they hurry up and get rid of these blasted stones as im forming stone henge as we speak :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can see it being many months tho but will plead to be an emergancy case.

What also dont help is my dad nearly died from a gallstone that killed off his pancreas (dont know full story but it was the stone that caused it all) :yikes: was in hospital fighting for his life for many months and hes left being insilin dependant but heres alive :-)
*Lisa*

Postby zappa20 » Fri May 02, 2014 7:40 pm

Sorry to hear you've got the dreaded gallstones, but hopefully once removed you'll be feeling a whole lot better.

Pain on the right side particularly radiating into the shoulder is very typical of gall bladder pain.

As for morphine to prevent a visit to A&E, just thinking if things get so bad it might not be a bad idea to present yourself at A&E as they might take you in and do the removal much quicker . Sending you best wishes.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Fri May 02, 2014 9:17 pm

Thanks zappa, i actually spoke with a friend not long after i posted and she also said about going to A&E each time so it gets done quicker and after having another attack tonight (mild one compared to others but still very painfull) i think i'll have no choice.

Thing is i hate hospitals :( but looks like the way to the top of the list :-?

My friend also mentioned her neighbour died of gallstones as they blocked other parts of body... yea cheers for that :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: my anxiety didnt like to hear that one :roll: :lol:

Im trying to fight the anxiety monster so had to tell her to stop telling me :shock: Im feeling very drained now and sorry for myself and could just kill for a mac donalds :-P no chance huh! :roll:
*Lisa*

Postby sunnyem23 » Wed May 07, 2014 10:53 pm

Hi Lisa,

Sorry to hear about the gallstones - I have been there and it hurts! I reckon the pain is amplified because of Fibro, too.

I had my gallbladder removed last November as it was chronically inflamed and caused a lot of pain during flair ups. I'd suffered with the pain from 19 (I was young, healthy weight with a healthy diet!) and docs never actually found any gallstones, just some sludge (yuk) and inflamed gallbladder.

However I can say that since having the surgery, my digestive system is so much happier! I have IBS but it has calmed down since having the gallbladder removed.

I will say that although it's keyhole surgery, be sure to take plenty of time off work if you are prone to taking ages to recover from any illness. It took me two months to recover which is much longer than the one week the doctor told me!! The first few weeks are the hardest physically but everyone recovers at a different rate. I don't think it helped that my surgery was in winter when I'm often tensed up because of being so sensitive to the cold.

If anyone has any q's about the op, feel free to ask.
Good luck and hope you're ok!
sunnyem23
UKFM Newbie

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems