Spinal surgeon appointment, opinions needed please

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Spinal surgeon appointment, opinions needed please

Postby Karou » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:05 pm

Hi all,

Haven't been able to come here for a while. Trying to sort myself out in different areas of life is draining me. Sorry about that.

I finally got through to the fracture clinic and my next appointment is Friday. When I had my first appointment, I was told that they want to avoid surgery because of Fibro and give steroid injections instead. I thought I'd be ok with that, they're doctors, right? This was before I had my new MRI.

Well I'm wondering if that wouldn't just be like asking for more trouble in the future.

The new scan showed degenerative changes particularly C5-C6, with a central disc bulge slightly pressing on the cord but no significant compression. I also have a grade 1 listhesis at L5-S1 with pars defect and roots impinged due to diffuse disc bulge. Early facet arthropathic changes mentioned here as well.

Is there anyone here who had just the injections after ( similar) diagnosis? Would you say it has solved the problem for you?

I don't want to push for anything that's not necessary but removing the pain while leaving the cause seems scary and unlikely to workimo butI'm no expert.
I just want my life back. :( Well...at least what I can get back because Fibro hasn't taken it yet.
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Re: Spinal surgeon appointment, opinions needed please

Postby Cheltz » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:48 pm

Hi, yes I had a similar diagnosis a few years ago. Disks c4 c5 and c6 degenerate and forming a wedge shape that pressed against my spinal cord. Had awful pain in my lower back and down my right leg.

I was given three steroid injections, one a week for three weeks into my spine. I had this done as an out patient and the whole procedure took about a hour as I had to have my BP monitored after the injections. The injection it's self was unpleasant but not too bad. I had to lie face down with a cushion under my tummy and the consultant felt for a gap between the vertebra at the base of my back where he inserted the needle.

The relief from pain was not immediate and improved after each injection. The pain never totally went but it certainly took the edge off it and allowed me to stand, walk and sit in reasonable comfort. The effects lasted for approx 6 months and then the pain gradually returned. They would only allow me one course of the injections a year. I never did have the operation and still continue to manage my pain with injections and pain meds. I haven't noticed any effect, good or bad on my fibro

Hope that helps a little.
Cheltz
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:17 pm

Thanks Cheltz, I'm a chicken when it comes to needles so knowing that it wasn't too bad certainly helps. ( still don't know how I managed to sit through my tattoos lol) :-)

Sorry to hear that the pain didn't disappear completely. But if like you said I can manage with painkillers I'd be happier. Right now even tramadol doesn't touch it.

I've had injections in my hip but was told only 3 times a year and sadly they only lasted a few weeks. If I may ask, were you offered the operation? It seems that opinions vary on this and having it is no guarantee for relief.

Thanks also for mentioning that you didn't notice any difference wrt Fibro. I don't want to get my hopes up too much with this and the surgeon said there is no quick fix for the spine and even if there was, it wouldn't mean Fibro would disappear. It might get better he said but you can never tell.
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Postby Cheltz » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:36 pm

Yeah I was offered a opp. They wanted to remove a disk and fuse several vertebra. It was also found that I had a extra piece of bone that was coming off my lowest rib and there was some talk about using that to help with the fusion.

I was put off the idea of the opp as a friend of mine had it done and was left worse off than he was before. Less mobile, he had trouble bending etc and was still in pain. He ended up not being to work and lost his job.

Also when the consultant went through the risks that such a opp entailed, like the nerves controlling the bladder could get damaged etc, I wasn't prepared to take the risk, no matter how small.

Maybe you could explore the alternatives to having a opp, like the steroid injections and see how you go whilst leaving your option to have the opp left open for you should the injections not work for you.
Cheltz
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems