recovering from surgical treatment?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

recovering from surgical treatment?

Postby nannyogg » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:21 pm

Hi all, I have CFS/FMS/Bodily Distress Syndrome, along with a whole load of other wonderful conditions. I also have a heart problem (Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome) for which I am scheduled to have ablation treatment in about 3 weeks. I'm pretty terrified of this anyway, but am also worrying about how the Fibro etc will impact on recovery from the heart procedure.

Wondered if anyone here who has had surgeries could give me an idea of whether Fibro made recovery worse for them?
nannyogg
UKFM Member

Re: recovering from surgical treatment?

Postby whoami » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:34 pm

nannyogg....I am sorry to hear you are going in for surgery. Hopefully it will make you feel a lot better.

I have had well over 25 surgeries while having fibro. Some minor, some serious. I have gone through cancer treatments and a stroke. I can honestly say that my surgeries etc. have not increased my symptoms at all.

I experienced all the normal pain and symptoms that were to be expected with each procedure. Everyone has post op symptoms. Symptoms related to the surgery or procedure. After the usual time that you would be expected to not have the pain from surgery, I didn't. Yes the fibro was still there but at no increase.

You will get different answers, as we are all different. Talk to your Dr's, make sure you let them know all your conditions and meds. They will keep your pain under control as best they can.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby nannyogg » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:01 pm

Thanks so much for answering...It is very reassuring to know that the Fibro etc don't necessarily make the recovery process more of a trial...One thing less to be anxious about...

So sorry you have had to go through so many treatments...you must be such a strong person :) x
nannyogg
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:12 am

For some, surgical procedures can aggravate FM, making it flare and making the recovery period longer. For others tho, like whoami, it has very little or no effect on their FM. Unfortunately it's not possible to say which way it will go until someone undergoes a procedure.

As whoami has advised, talk to the people who will be involved with your treatment and care, make sure they are aware of your other conditions/problems and what is needed to help manage them, and hopefully it will all help keep things behaving as suitably as possible for you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
:goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby nannyogg » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:44 pm

Thanks fluffy puppy :) I thought I remembered seeing / hearing before that recovery can be affected...but it's good to know that it doesn't "have" to be, if that makes sense! I will definitely be following the good advice you have both given and talking things through with the docs in advance...then crossing everything for luck :yikes:
nannyogg
UKFM Member

Postby nannyogg » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:50 pm

Sorry...fluffy puffy.... predictive type + tired = :oops:
nannyogg
UKFM Member

Postby Leannellie » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:44 am

Hi. I have a Labral tear on my left hip. Was going to have an op on it over a year ago but my fibro wasn't diagnosed at that time. The consultant said to wait till I got my diagnosis which I got cot last year. I've just been back to hospital to see him again as hip is sooo painful. He refuses to do the op because of my fibro??!!! I was told he doesn't like to operate on fibro patients as in his opinion it will make it worse and recovery will be longer. I don't think I could feel any worse!!! I'm thinking of a second opinion as this hip pain is awful.
Comfort in sound it's all around, ease back the strain, come heal your pain.
Leannellie
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:39 pm

Leanellie....I am sorry you are in so much pain. In regards to your surgery, I don't know your conditions but I would suggest a second opinion. In my opinion, having being in the operating room over 25 times with fibro and having friends have surgery, knee replacements, rods in back, to name a couple, it seems odd to hear a Dr say he refuses surgery due to fibro.

If you can get a second opinion it would not hurt. What does your GP think? I always have asked my Dr what he thinks before I have made any decisions. Likely due to him being good and understands my body.

Good luck, keep us informed if you have any change. I would be interested to hear what another surgeon had to say.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby whoami » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:50 pm

nannygog .....I wanted to check the name of the procedure before I posted it. I was not sure if the procedure was what my mother in law had but it is. Mother in law had this done. All went well. They said that usually you go home the same day but she has other conditions that they kept hdr overnight. She was home before 12 am the morning after her surgery.
When is your surgery? I will be thinking of you.
Good luck x
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems