Carotid artery

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Carotid artery

Postby trigger » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:42 am

Hi Guy's question for you?

Has anyone had a problem with there Carotid artery. Going for an MRI this week to have it checked out as i keep hearing my blood pump in my ears when laying down or bending over and was wondering if it connected to Fibro. If so have you had the test and what is like haveing the dye put in?. Many thanks x :-?
trigger
UKFM Member

Re: Carotid artery

Postby denys » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:34 am

Dont think its connected to Fibro or at least have never seen it mentioned anywhere as either a symptom or something that goes along with it. Hope everything turns out fine
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby whoami » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:44 pm

I have had the MRI done, it is actually an MRA because of the dye. It is quite simple, you don't feel a thing, other than the needle for the dye.

I think the worse thing that could happen is an allergy to the dye, that is very rare.

The test took between half an hour and forty five minutes if I remember correctly. The test is done to check for such things as narrowing, that was my case.

Don't worry about the test itself. x
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby trigger » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:58 pm

Hi whoami i had my MRI but they did not put dye in which is what i was told would happen but in stead i had to put my head in cradle then they a piece over the top of my face it took about 35 min's so don't know what they done but thanks for the reply :-)
trigger
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:12 am

Sounds like they did a basic head and neck scan . The contraption they put your head in is simply to stop you moving it while the scan is done. Without the dye I'm not sure it would give as clear a picture of the carotid arteries.but it would give. A clear indication of any vertebrae interfering r any kinks in arteries and also if there's any sign of previous minor vascular incidents in the brain.

They can check your carotid arteries for plaques with an ultrasound , I've had 2 done after having TIAs , but it doesn't give as clear a picture as an MRI with the dye. It's fairly common to hear your heartbeat when first standing up or bending over and doesn't always mean there is a problem. Because your autonomic nervous system responds to changes in position by adjusting your blood pressure ie is the force of the blood going through the arteries.as well as your heart rate. It can also mean there is some plaque build up in these arteries and can also be due to a hearing problem.

I can alway hear my heartbeat can be a bit disconcerting because Ive an erratic heartbeat , it can take some getting used to. If it's bothering you at night time when trying to sleep sometimes changing the position of your head can quieten it down a bit.

Hope you get a good result
zappa20
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems