Sacriollic joint dysfunction

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Sacriollic joint dysfunction

Postby Sue1968 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:22 am

Hi

Has anyone else been dx with SI joint dysfunction? My GP hasn't exactly said that I've got it but he treats that area when I have acupuncture. The other big question is: is SI joint dysfunction related in any way to fibromyalgia?

I'd love some info or experiences as I goto my GP on Friday, I've got all of the symptoms and so I suspect I've got SI DYSFUNCTION, the pain started back in January when I fell down the stairs at home. I've been in horrendous pain ever since.

Thank you

Sue1968
Sue1968
UKFM Member

Re: Sacriollic joint dysfunction

Postby carolad » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:38 pm

I think sacroiliac joint problems are more 'mechanical' in nature so probably not related to fibromyalgia. I also have SI joint pain - mine is caused by a twisted pelvis/scoliosis (the two are linked, I'm just not sure which came first!)

If you have recently put your pelvis 'out' in a fall, a physio may be able to manipulate it back in place for you. But the longer it is out of alignment, the less likely it is that it can be corrected. My physio gave up trying to correct mine because it would only last for an hour or two at most and would then go back to its 'usual' position!
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Sue1968 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:28 pm

Hi Carolad
I have been told by different healthcare professionals that SI JOINT disfunction is part of fibromyalgia, but I suppose it depends on who you talk to and also their expertise. I'm at the pain clinic on Thursday 10/4 so I'm going to ask my consultant and see what can be done as I'm in so much pain, whether I lie down, sit, stand or anything, and I have all of the symptoms.

Sue1968
Sue1968
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:36 pm

Its not named as one of the symptoms of FM or as one of the other conditions that go hand in hand with FM must be painful to have to deal with
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby carolad » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:38 pm

Sue1968 wrote:Hi Carolad
I have been told by different healthcare professionals that SI JOINT disfunction is part of fibromyalgia, but I suppose it depends on who you talk to and also their expertise. I'm at the pain clinic on Thursday 10/4 so I'm going to ask my consultant and see what can be done as I'm in so much pain, whether I lie down, sit, stand or anything, and I have all of the symptoms.

Sue1968

It was suggested to me that my scoliosis/twisted pelvis may have 'brought on' the fibromyalgia but I don't think SI joint dysfunction is a usual symptom of fibromyalgia.

If your SI joint pain started after your fall, it sounds likely it is a physical injury that is the cause of your pain, rather than fibro :) A good physio should be able to help with this - if you have knocked your pelvis out of alignment in the fall, he/she should be able to correct that for you.

Good luck with it :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:14 pm

There's a special belt you can buy to support the pelvis in Si dysfunction. Pain clinic tole me about them when I had this problem. I bought one and used it for a time, and found it helped. While with Fibro you can experience pain in all sorts of places , so it would be possible to feel pain in that area, the physical condition of Si isn't caused by Fibro.

The Pain clinic can give a course of injections into the SI joint to relieve the pain. You could ask for them next time you attend.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby Sue1968 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:07 pm

Hi everyone

Just an update, still got horrendous pain in my hip/sacriollic joint area, my GP has dismissed any problem as I've got good range of movement, I purchased a sacriollic belt and since wearing it the pain has reduced considerably, so I'm still thinking that I've got SI joint dysfunction so I'm at my GP on Monday and I'm going to put it to him to see if he agrees with me........watch this space for his reply
Sue1968
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:19 am

:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: you get some answers
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Sue1968 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:41 am

Hi
After months of not having any answers, I had a spinal cord infusion injection a couple of weeks ago, the pain clinic nurses told me that if the pain from my hips was actually found in my back the injection would help that area also, it didn't, how ever my gp sent me for X rays on my hips last week and has said that it has come back with a definitive answer of sacroiliac joint issues, so it can actually occur along side fibromyalgia, which I said to my gp alog while ago.
Sue1968
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:57 pm

Glad to hear you've finally got some answers about things Sue. When I saw you'd posted, I was hoping it might be something nice and easy to deal with. At least now you definitely know what you're juggling with, and can hopefully start finding the best way to treat it, and how best to live with this new addition to your collection.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby macca » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:25 pm

This is interesting as my wife has suffered with Sacroiliac Joint problems since she was in her twenties (some 20 years ago now). This was due to having a difference in the length of her legs from a young age, walking unevenly for a long period of time, then developing Osteoarthritis in the hip leading to a hip replacement.

When she was formally diagnosed by a Consultant in Pain Mediciaine and Anaesthesia the diagnosis read :

"Fibromyalgia possibly secondary to Sacroiliac joint dysfunction"

So there must be at least some medical opinion that there is a link between the two.

ac
macca
UKFM Member

Postby macca » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:00 pm

Hi, I'd be interested to know more about a sacroiliac belt. If you've used one and found it to help, can you tell me which you used and how much it cost.

Cheers Mac
macca
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:20 pm

macca wrote:Hi, I'd be interested to know more about a sacroiliac belt. If you've used one and found it to help, can you tell me which you used and how much it cost.

Cheers Mac

I have one from a company called Serola - you can buy them online. I think it was around £30-35. It isn't a miracle cure but I think it does help a bit. The worst thing is that it rubs against my hips if I wear it for too long - you have to have it tight to work properly. But I'm slim and don't have any 'padding' on my hips, it may be more comfortable if you aren't as bony!
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:09 am

macca wrote:This is interesting as my wife has suffered with Sacroiliac Joint problems since she was in her twenties (some 20 years ago now). This was due to having a difference in the length of her legs from a young age, walking unevenly for a long period of time, then developing Osteoarthritis in the hip leading to a hip replacement.

When she was formally diagnosed by a Consultant in Pain Mediciaine and Anaesthesia the diagnosis read :

"Fibromyalgia possibly secondary to Sacroiliac joint dysfunction"

So there must be at least some medical opinion that there is a link between the two.

ac

Think you're misreading what the consultant meant. People develop Fibro normally after some emotional or physical trigger. In your wifes case it may have been the SI problem, but could just as easily have been any other physical disorder eg slipped discs etc., she may have had. He's just lumped it together as a possibility.

The SI belt I bought was about £15 but I bought it a long time ago now, so can't remember where I ordered it from. It helps to hold your chassis frame together (an odd way to explain it perhaps) but it certainly improved things for me. It's also ossicle to get lignocaine injections done into the SI joint in. Day surgery unit organised by the pain clinic. Sometime these work very well for a time. It can take a long time to resolve , but usually will with the time and the right treatment.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby macca » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:58 am

Hi, many thanks for the belt info, thats really useful.

Regarding the disgnosis link I'm not rigid on it at all. All I was suggesting is that there appears to be 'some' medical opinion that there is a link. But yeah sure there will be lots of other medical opinions as to the cause. It may have been the physical truama associated with the arthritis leading to the hip replacement, maybe a serious car accident where she had to be cut out of the car, or as you say an emotional trigger such as losing a very close grand parent, having to give up a job she loved at just 33, the long term effect of anxiety and depression, or coping with a person she regarded as a friend using her and then trying her best to break up our marriage. Or of course it could have been any combination of those things and more.

The mystery of fibro eh?

Mac
macca
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems