Swallowing

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Swallowing

Postby Tracey24 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:32 pm

Can I just ask does anyone else have difficulty swallowing? I can eat normally but sometimes it hard to swallow its like my throat is blocked no matter how many times force to swallow. Is this a symptom of FMS, MS or chronic brain deymilination!!!!!!!
Keep fighting, smile through the pain!
Tracey24
UKFM Member

Re: Swallowing

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:08 pm

I can only go on my swollowing difficaulties. It was one of my first symptoms. I remember having lots of different antibiotics to try and get rid of my problem as GP thought throat infection BUT in fact it was the stiffness and tension in the muscles of my throat and neck plus front chest wall added to that TMJ.

Getting a mouthguard helped my symptoms reduce and i have regular physio who works on these muscles to relax them down.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:51 am

Its become a family joke that there are certain foods , I have difficulty swallowing.
To take my tablets ,I snap my head right back making my neck as long and straight as possible its the only way I can get them down. Rice is another difficulty, it has to be quite slippery with a sauce otherwise it just sticks. As for anything else you can be sure I will cough and splutter at least once in a meal and end up wearing some item of food down my front.
This is so normal my DD was on a school trip and saw something would be very handy for me.when she got home I was handed a beautiful wrapped present......on opening it , there peeking out was a hand embroidered baby bib with lovely Alpine scenes. Her friends were horrified :shock: she had bought it .....her dad and I had a great laugh :lol: and sometimes it is still brought out as a joke especially when I order a Chinese! :lol:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Tracey24 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:45 am

Thanks, its good to know i'm not alone with this trauma! x
Keep fighting, smile through the pain!
Tracey24
UKFM Member

Postby cdcrossy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:40 pm

hi sometimes i have difficulty swallowing foods but its the same rice,bread, spagbol just like its a effort to get it down sometimes i get it down but then need to throw up
cdcrossy
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Thu May 01, 2014 4:15 am

Sometimes it takes my throat a while to get the message. I'm sitting there, tablets in my mouth, liquid with them to wash down and.....nothing. After a bit of " hellooooo, brain to throat, get moving!" it works and they go down.
Dry foods like bread are a bit harder to work with but for me it's because I get a very dry mouth from my tablets.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Postby hippychick » Sun May 11, 2014 8:36 pm

I'm another fibromite who has trouble swallowing but mine tends to be more during the night albeit it can also happen during the day. I have to keep a bottle of water beside the bed to help when I'm on the verge of panic having woken up, (a frequent occurrence during what other 'normal folk' call......sleep :crazy: ), and just the tiniest sip seems to kick start the swallowing reflex. Mind you, I'd be in serious doo doo if it DIDN'T kick start it and I ended up choking :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: Hence this is NOT something I recommend others try :nono:

I do find that it's not a constant problem though but when it does come and go, it can last for weeks into months before subsiding again.

Tablet taking can also pose probs from time to time and coughing and spluttering has been known during meals but who really minds wearing whatever I've been trying to eat eh? :oops: :-P :lol: Suffice to say I don't get taken out to 'dine' very often :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh the joys of fibro eh.

Gentle huggles,
Hippy
hippychick
UKFM Member

Postby TNK* » Sun May 11, 2014 8:45 pm

Karou wrote:Sometimes it takes my throat a while to get the message. I'm sitting there, tablets in my mouth, liquid with them to wash down and.....nothing. After a bit of " hellooooo, brain to throat, get moving!" it works and they go down.
Dry foods like bread are a bit harder to work with but for me it's because I get a very dry mouth from my tablets.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

This is me, i can sit for a minute or so with a tablet and a mouth full of water its like my head is waiting for "the right time" to swallow it all!

Bread on its own isnt a problem but i have to make sure i chew toast right down to mush (sorry for tmi) as i again take a while waiting to swallow!
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sun May 11, 2014 8:50 pm

Tracey24 wrote:Can I just ask does anyone else have difficulty swallowing? I can eat normally but sometimes it hard to swallow its like my throat is blocked no matter how many times force to swallow. Is this a symptom of FMS, MS or chronic brain deymilination!!!!!!!

No, I dont have any problems with swallowing x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby lanie.d » Tue May 13, 2014 9:36 pm

I don't have trouble swallowing per say, but sometimes I get a pain in the middle of my chest when I swallow and my stomach feels heavy, like it's full of lead after eating a decent size meal. Anyone else experience this?
lanie.d
UKFM Newbie

Postby Queenie_70 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:58 pm

Tracey24 wrote:Can I just ask does anyone else have difficulty swallowing? I can eat normally but sometimes it hard to swallow its like my throat is blocked no matter how many times force to swallow. Is this a symptom of FMS, MS or chronic brain deymilination!!!!!!!

I know this is an older post, but I am trolling through them to see what of my symptoms, have already been discussed. Yes, I do have a heck of a time swallowing almost anything. Food gets stuck and I have lost more than one meal as it aggravates the back of the throat. I always have a large drink, preferably squash or water, when-ever I eat, even if it is just a sausage roll or snack.....

The best way I can describe it is, I don't seem to produce enough saliva to masticate the food as mush as it should be to get it down, the drinking water assists in this and therefore I have less problems. I agree with the other posts though, rice, bread, carbs basically are a nightmare to try and get past the back of the throat.....

I wish it meant that I am stick thin, but unfortunately, not yet. I have lost two stone, but it took a year. Another four to go.....

xx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:34 pm

hmmm this is interesting. I've had (for many years - certainly pre dating fibro diagnosis) times when I struggle to swallow certain foods - bread / rolls in particular are a bad culprit for this. it's like it just gets stuck somewhere below my throat, no matter how small a piece I have chewed. also happens with chips sometimes.

and yes like someone said it is also painful, somewhere in the chest area although it's my throat not my chest (if that makes sense).

I never thought before now that it might have something to do with fibro though. :-|
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:44 pm

I get this one and off, looking at my symptoms list early on I had real difficulty swallowing alcohol, so I'm glad that has passed!!

I too had real problems at night, and feeling like throwing up, I think this is mainly down to the painkillers though as some have made my mouth so much drier.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Queenie_70 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:49 pm

Okay, my doctor has told me that the muscle weakness associated with Fibro will weaken all muscles, including those in the throat. I guess for me, the worst is when I wake up thirsty, which is all the time, I lie down and it literally tickles back up my throat because there is no muscle strength to make it go in the right direction....choke constantly. :(
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems