Hate physical contact with other people

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hate physical contact with other people

Postby JemmaB88 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:39 pm

Hi all,

Not been on forum in a while as 22 weeks pregnant and working my butt off!

Quick question for you. Unsure if it is fibro connected or I am just weird.

Does anyone else detest human contact? It's odd because I like physical contact with my husband (obviously otherwise wouldn't be pregnant :lol: ) and contact with animals does not bother me. The dog and cat lay all over me and it doesn't get to me. People on the other hand is another matter. I am quite introverted anyway, but I have always been this way. However, since I can remember I have always cringed when people try to hug me/touch me. I hate it. Even my own mother! She knows I feel like this and never gets offended. If I hug her she makes a funny comment about it and its over with. I only get my hair cut once a year because I hate the hair wash and the fact that someone is that close to me for a while.

I seem to be even worse now I am pregnant. My dad (who I have not seen much of recently because of a fall out) would not stop rubbing my bump last week when I saw him for the first time this year. I kept saying please stop but he would say 'Oh stop being silly' and continues. I will say something if he lunges for my stomach next time. I don't get bump touching anyway. It's just plain odd.

My relatives are very much huggers and like to say love you all the time etc. I just can't bring myself to say it. I say it to my husband, but he was the first person I said it to. I am lucky that he gets me.

Does anyone else react like this to kindness and cuddliness? :crazy:
JemmaB88
UKFM Member

Re: Hate physical contact with other people

Postby denys » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:09 am

Yep you arent weird or if you are then plenty of others I know are too :-D :-D :-D I never liked the bump rubbing either, it was as if you become public property just cos you have a passenger on board :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

So sorry I dont know if it is an FM thing but you arent alone :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:09 am

Yep you arent weird or if you are then plenty of others I know are too :-D :-D :-D I never liked the bump rubbing either, it was as if you become public property just cos you have a passenger on board :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

So sorry I dont know if it is an FM thing but you arent alone :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:51 am

I'm with you in that weird corner Jemma as I've never been keen on too much physical contact. As a child I'd wriggle and pull away from people as it always seemed like they were trying to smother me. I'm not as bad these days, I can cope with my folks, OH, MIL, and a few friends giving me a hug, but when it comes to someone I barely know, or someone new, all those old sensations come rushing back.

As for the bump rubbing and touching, just like Denys has said, when someone sees that you're pregnant, it seems like you become public property. During my final weeks I reached the point where I didn't want to go out as it was happening so often. I even started playing the feet swollen, difficult to walk card as I felt like I needed to have a valid excuse/reason for not wanting to go anywhere unless it was absolutely necessary.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems