Loss of balance?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Loss of balance?

Postby Queenie_70 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:00 am

Hi,

I don't know whether this has been discussed yet, but I am finding that I lose my balance. I don't have an ear infection, but dizzy spells and swaying have become a part of my life recently. Does anyone else suffer from this? :crazy:
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Re: Loss of balance?

Postby whoami » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:17 am

Queenie, I have loss of balance at times, fall often and walk off to one side. I put some of it down to being uncomfortable due to the fibro and OA.

Things such as your meds can cause you to be dizzy. Mention this to your Dr and he may run a couple of tests. It is an awful feeling to be dizzy and have balance loss.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Queenie_70 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:45 am

Hi whoami,

Thank you for letting me know it is not just me....I often, with this condition, wonder if I am going mad. My habit of walking into door frames, not stepping where I thought I had, and just being a general klutz has progressively got worse, and I hate not knowing if it is me or the FM. No-one who doesn't have it seems to realize everything that is involve, and that includes the Dr's.

I am currently on 150mg of Cymbalta. It is what I was prescribed after a major episode of depression in America, not sure what it is called over here. I cannot have them reduced as I am a suicide risk, though with the lack of care I have had since I returned to England regarding mental health, one would not think so. If I didn't have a great GP who actually listened through my tears, I don't know where I would be.
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:25 pm

A lot of people suffer from this, if you put the word balance into the search facility at the top of the page it should bring up quite a few posts that may give you some answers
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby zappa20 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:38 am

Queenie_70 wrote:Hi,

I don't know whether this has been discussed yet, but I am finding that I lose my balance. I don't have an ear infection, but dizzy spells and swaying have become a part of my life recently. Does anyone else suffer from this? :crazy:

Probably not this, but thought I'd mention low blood sodium levels can cause dizziness, confusion and a swaying gait. To check you need a blood test for electrolytes. Normal levels are between 135 and 145.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:55 am

I'm clumsier than I used to be, I head for a doorway and bang into the frame, it's not my depth perception as my driving is bang on and my hand-to-eye coordination is fine, so it's movement related. So yes, loss of balance here too. Another friend who has recently been diagnosed asked me about this at the weekend as she's starting to suffer from dizziness and balance issues as well.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Davesmum » Thu May 01, 2014 2:20 pm

Another clumsy one here, it's a bit of a running joke with me, I can walk from bedroom to bathroom (which are directly opposite each other) and bounce off every surface, walls, door frame, door... Lol
My other half says he heard me get up(creaking and cracking) and waits for the "ow" to make sure I've made it to the bathroom lol

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
Davesmum
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Mon May 12, 2014 10:22 am

I often wonder where all my bruises come from, but I know that I have probably walked into so many different objects during the day I don't even notice it anymore. It is more a miracle if I make it through a room without hitting something. We are a weird bunch, but united in it. xx

:banghead:
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon May 12, 2014 12:16 pm

Queenie, we have had this topic started about the Room Spinning. Thought it might be worth a quick looky to see if there was anything that related to your loss of balance problem as, in quite a number of cases, the 2 can come along hand~in~hand.

Wrt walking into things and bruising, it's a part of daily life for me now :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: And very much like you, I barely notice it happening these days, and making it across a room without bumping into something and/or stumbling/falling over something is a good reason to :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: these days :oops: :oops: :oops:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Theresa34 » Mon May 12, 2014 3:10 pm

I've recently ben through a dizzy spell/ lightheaded ness when standing up. It seems to have stopped now. I do tend to fall sideways whilst standing still. Its weird. It doesn't bother me too much so I will leave it be :-D
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems