Torn muscle

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Torn muscle

Postby JemmaB88 » Fri May 02, 2014 11:55 am

Hi all,

I am 23 weeks pregnant and suddenly developed severe cramp in my calf muscle. 4 days later it was just as painful and rock hard. Obviously the midwife was worried about DVT. I was asked to see my GP if possible. Managed to get an appointment today and was told something I would never have expected.

I had such severe cramp in my calf, it has torn the muscle! I have no idea how I managed to do that as I was asleep when it decided to strike! It is very painful, and the doctor has suggested physio if it doesn't improve. But he said by the time I get an appointment, it will probably have sorted itself out anyway.

Has anyone else had experience of a torn muscle and fibro because I am not sure how much of it is true pain, and how much is perceived pain by fibro addled brain!

Any tips? He said just manage it with massaging and stretching.
JemmaB88
UKFM Member

Re: Torn muscle

Postby denys » Fri May 02, 2014 11:33 pm

I have torn the muscles in my shoulder much the same way and it flipping well hurts. So you have my utmost sympathy has the doc told you to rest it up as much as possible and to gently move it round (not enough to cause loads of pain) if you dont move it, it will shorten again and then when you do try it may tear again. I found heat helped mine and I was given some diazapam to relax my muscles but being pregnant I imagine that isnt possible for you.

I hope things improve soon and you are back on your feet :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems