Anti spasmodics

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Anti spasmodics

Postby Gilly52 » Mon May 26, 2014 12:33 pm

Has anyone on here had any luck with anti spasmodics for IBS from their GP.? I have tried several different ones, saw my Gp last Friday, he suggested a new one to me Propantheline, I am also on amitripylene, I am on day 3 of the new med and already I am very constipated and my mouth is drier than previously, (if that is possible), and still got stomach cramps on and off. I feel disappointed yet again, as upon reading the patient info leaftlet , it says that this med can make the side effects of amitripylene worse, so I now feel reluctant to carry on taking them. I sometimes think with fibro, my system has become so sensitive, it just does not want to accept new medication.

I have been down this route before with constipation and then I needed laxative daily, this was something I was hoping to avoid this time. For the stomach cramps the only thing that helps me is a hot water bottle, I think possibly that it is fibro affecting my stomach muscles, I have had a colonoscopy which ruled out diverticular disease, so now my GP is convinced it's IBS, which I know does run alongside fibro, so if anyone has had any luck with this problem I'll be pleased to hear from you.

Hope everyone is having a reasonable day X :-)
Gilly52
UKFM Member

Re: Anti spasmodics

Postby denys » Tue May 27, 2014 12:35 am

I take Alverine which helps
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby JemmaB88 » Tue May 27, 2014 4:38 pm

Yes. I used to take mebeverine until I became too dizzy when taking them (I used to travel 45 mins each way to work and GP felt too risky). These worked very well.
I now take buscopan hyoscine butylbromide. Currently off of everything like this as I am 27 weeks pregnant. It drives me mad not bring able to take some as they are in my dresser drawer. So accessible! But its not forever.
Buscopan is available over the counter now. Its cheaper to get them prescribed. You get loads more.
JemmaB88
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue May 27, 2014 8:44 pm

Whilst there are anti~spasmodics available otc, they do tend to state on the packaging that they should only be used by those who have had IBS clinically conformed/dx'd, so, depending on where they were purchased, a few questions may be asked about this, have they been taken before etc.

Peppermint is said to help with IBS~like symptoms, sometimes being used as an alternative if someone doesn't want to go down the pharmaceutical route. Peppermint cordial is one form, peppermint oil/capsules can also be taken, and is available as an otc treatment Colpermin , and for some peppermint tea does the trick.

Peppermint was suggested/recommended as a way to manage IBS during pregnancy when I had :yikes: :yikes: :alien: :alien: Teenagent, but as that was many, many, many moons ago now, checking it out would be the wise thing to do. Same with any meds,treatments/remedies that are being taken, pregnant or not, checking for any possible issues.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Gilly52 » Tue May 27, 2014 10:24 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies............much appreciated X :-)
Gilly52
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems