Sleep talking and walking

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Sleep talking and walking

Postby Helhit » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:44 pm

I don't suffer from insomnia, but I sleep talk every night and when really stressed sleep walk too.

I can walk up to 5 times a night - and this leaves me worn out the next day.

As sleep disorders are part of FM, I wondered if anyone does this too - or if it's just me
Fibro is like the wind. You can't see it and when it flares up it knocks you off your feet!
Helhit
UKFM Member

Re: Sleep talking and walking

Postby carolad » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:00 pm

I've been prone to sleepwalking since I was a teenager. I don't do it all the time, usually only if I'm stressed or anxious about something. I'm also more likely to do it if I'm not in my own bed - I've done it on holiday.

Luckily in my case, I don't get too far! I always go towards doors or windows (something about trying to escape??) and then I sort of wake up. I'm not really properly awake but I become aware I've been sleepwalking, go back to bed and I'm fast asleep again in a matter of seconds. Very strange!
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:50 am

I believe we do have a sleep order relating to not being able to sleep deeply enough to feel refreshed in the morning. I don't know if sleep talking/walking is one. My kids sleep talk occasionally. It's not been mentioned that I do. I slept walked once I know of as a kid. But I generally stay put in bed :-D
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Helhit » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:07 pm

It's strange, because some mornings I've woken up thinking I've had a good night sleep, only for my hubby to tell me I've been shouting all night.
I think you're right about not getting restful sleep - I think I'm missing it due to my walking and talking
Fibro is like the wind. You can't see it and when it flares up it knocks you off your feet!
Helhit
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:41 pm

My husband gets night terrors which leave him tired in the morning (he doesn't have fibro). I remember him sleep talking once and I didn't realise at first so I spoke to him. He ended up arguing with me in his sleep! lol
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:06 pm

Theresa34 wrote:I believe we do have a sleep order relating to not being able to sleep deeply enough to feel refreshed in the morning. I don't know if sleep talking/walking is one. My kids sleep talk occasionally. It's not been mentioned that I do. I slept walked once I know of as a kid. But I generally stay put in bed :-D

The Rheumatologist I saw thinks that fibromyalgia is primarily a sleep disorder and it is this lack of restful sleep that causes all the other symptoms. It's just a theory of course..though there was some research which showed that healthy people started showing all the fibro symptoms when they were deprived of sleep over a long period. In my own case, I had severe back pain for years which kept me awake - having 3-4 hours sleep a night was normal for me. After a few years of that, I developed more general muscle pain. I actually sleep much 'better' now (mainly because I take Tramadol and amitripyline) but it may be that my years of not sleeping have changed my sleep patterns so I no longer get the good quality sleep that makes us feel rested.
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:08 am

carolad wrote:
Theresa34 wrote:I believe we do have a sleep order relating to not being able to sleep deeply enough to feel refreshed in the morning. I don't know if sleep talking/walking is one. My kids sleep talk occasionally. It's not been mentioned that I do. I slept walked once I know of as a kid. But I generally stay put in bed :-D

The Rheumatologist I saw thinks that fibromyalgia is primarily a sleep disorder and it is this lack of restful sleep that causes all the other symptoms. It's just a theory of course..though there was some research which showed that healthy people started showing all the fibro symptoms when they were deprived of sleep over a long period. In my own case, I had severe back pain for years which kept me awake - having 3-4 hours sleep a night was normal for me. After a few years of that, I developed more general muscle pain. I actually sleep much 'better' now (mainly because I take Tramadol and amitripyline) but it may be that my years of not sleeping have changed my sleep patterns so I no longer get the good quality sleep that makes us feel rested.

Yes I read that online re lack of sleep. I would imagine that a lot of night workers would have fibro in that case. My husband has done nights for years and years (finished doing them recently) and he never developed firbromyalgia and neither had his workmates. So not sure on the theory. But I'm open minded :). My Amitriptyline is the best thing since sliced bread. I love being able to sleep! I'm only on 20mg but it makes such a difference :-D
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:03 am

Good point about shiftworkers Theresa34. One of the things I find really frustrating about this condition is the uncertainty about it all...my ordered mind likes to have definitive answers and I hate all this vagueness!

I agree with you about the Amitriptyline - I'm on 30mg a night and it has definitely helped with my sleeping :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems