to take or not take more antibiotics?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

to take or not take more antibiotics?

Postby oldsheep » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:56 am

I haven't been on here for ages, sorry. I have very long standing (1988) CFS and fibromyalgia (latter diagnosed 1998). Antibiotics make me feel dreadful, and the last 2 times, have flared my IBS big time. (I'd got that under control with an annoyingly restrictive diet and ground linseed. I'd been swimming regularly and feeling quite a lot better).

As usual, wheels came off. 2 weeks ago I got cystitis. GP put me on a week's amoxycillin, which she thought would be the best tolerated of the A.Bs. It didn't work that well, although on the last day of the course they retested and the urine was clear, and of course it caused upset stomach and bowel. I then felt better for a day, even went for a short swim, but then had very bad back and side pain/ache that kept me up all night last friday.
As that pain has subsided a bit but is still constant and I feel about 90 (still getting up 2x a night to pee and sleep badly anyhow) I went to the senior partner GP today. Bit fussed about kidneys, although doesn't think it can be as I haven't got a fever. I'm drinking a lot and it no longer hurts at all to pee, however still have some pressure which is either from the infection continuing - and causing the back and side pain - or from IBS. Or from post AB fibro flare. Impossible to know which obviously.

He has prescribed a week's nitrofurantoin 50mg, 4x a day. I am very reluctant to take it although clearly there's still something going on with the back pain and the pressure to pee.
He doesn't really understand about fibro, CFS and antibiotics but did say not to take it if I didn't want to. I don't know what to think.
It has some horrible sounding side effects - nausea for me is intolerable - and of course, I'm already clobbered by the 1st round.

Had just ordered (at great expense) my strong probiotics too. I'm tempted to give them a few days if no fever appears. Can you have a kidney infection without any fever?!
oldsheep
UKFM Member

Re: to take or not take more antibiotics?

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:49 pm

If i was you i would speak with your local pharmacist just to get some more info on the questions you have. If you cannot pop in then give them a call as there always happy to help.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby oldsheep » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:53 pm

thanks. I asked the pharmacist, but she said she didn't really know. Most common side effect is nausea and vomiting.
I went to the physio, who said my muscles in the back and side area are incredibly tight and in spasm. I now have a band fitted both sides!
Weird - while she was massaging my left ribs in my back, I had an overwhelming urge to pee. Must be a nerve linkage?

I am dithering and likely to wait a while before taking these antibiotics. I'll take them if the pain or UTI symptoms get worse, or if I get a fever.
oldsheep
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:01 pm

oldsheep wrote:I went to the physio, who said my muscles in the back and side area are incredibly tight and in spasm. I now have a band fitted both sides

I suffer severly with my ribs and back and wondered what a band is thats been fitted?
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems