Leg jerks disturbing my sleep

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Leg jerks disturbing my sleep

Postby kazisedso » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:54 pm

Hi all,

For the past 6 weeks my sleep has been disturbed severely due to being woken up from what little sleep I try to get by both of my legs jerking.

I ignored it for a time, but even my hubby has been saying that I am jerking, not only in my legs but sometimes in my arms. [FEARFUL FACE]

My legs ache anyway due to the fibro, but this is different.... Almost like a crawling electric sensation ( sorry if that sounds bizarre but it's the only way to describe it)

There are times especially around 4/5pm when I'm trying to rest ( as you do, trying to nod off!) but I can't because of this strange sensation and I just have to move my legs, rub them. I have even slapped at my legs to try and stop the crawly feelings.

I am not very mobile as it is and this is now starting to affect my sleep, it always starts when I am going into a relaxed state, watching tv, or just trying to chill in general and it's always towards the end of the day.

Any ideas what this could be?
It's not going away and seems to be getting worse.
I'm sick of being woken by this creeping sensation, sometimes I don't even get off to sleep as it starts just as I'm trying to nod off.

It's really making me tired and non functional, during the day and I'm very crabby as I'm not getting any restorative sleep.

Is this another symptom of fibro?
Any advice would be gratefully received.
I am going to my gp next week regarding this by the way.

Thanks
Karen
kazisedso
UKFM Member

Re: Leg jerks disturbing my sleep

Postby whoami » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:47 am

Sounds like....restless leg syndrome. There are a few causes for this. It can be medications, menopause. To name a couple.
Talk to your Dr, he can likely help.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Re: Leg jerks disturbing my sleep

Postby dotty lotty » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:30 am

My neurologist told me the jerking movement was called myoclonus and it is involuntary movement usually when relaxed. I find when trying to get off to sleep that may whole body jerks originating around my waist. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems