MS/Fibro

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

MS/Fibro

Postby Diane64 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:35 pm

How many of you have been diagnosed with fibro without a referral to Rheumatology or Neurology? and just been told by your Gp that you have it without ruling out other concerns like MS? I am asking because I was diagnosed when I requested a referral to rheumatology, my GP made the referral however the hospital just wrote back to advise them to diagnose me with fibro.

I have a daughter in law who was diagnosed a few years ago at 20yrs old with Ms, she was given a lumbar puncture and mri to give a confirmed diagnosis, we tend to be suffering off and on similar symptoms, I am aware that there is a lot of similarity so why would the professionals not out rule this first or is it the case it is too costly to put people through it so just diagnose and treat you for fibro??

Any ideas folks?
Diane64
UKFM Member

Re: MS/Fibro

Postby denys » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:20 pm

I only know of one member who was diagnosed with MS following a fibro diagnosis years earlier and she was told she had both :?: :?: :?: :?: I had 3 MRI scans to rule out other conditions so am not any use to you sorry :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:38 am

When I was dx'd a whole host of tests, scans etc had previously been done due to what it was originally thought I had, incl repeats as I didn't respond to treatment like was usually expected. In amongst these was MS due to how symptoms were appearing. It wasn't the Rheumy who told me that MS was one of the possible conditions that was being considered tho, it was my GP.

Altho there have been a few who have said they have been investigated for MS, as Denys has said, there is only one who has been tolld they have MS alongside FM.

There are a number of overlapping symptoms with FM, MS, and a number of other conditions, which is part of why it can be so long and frustrating for a dx to be made.

I can't say if it's too costly to dx other conditions as I've had tests etc run for a number of other possibilities over the years, so not really much in the way of help from me either :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

If you think there may be something else at work, or may have possibly mis~dx'd, then you need to raise it with your GP initially, and see what is said.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Diane64 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:19 am

To be honest at the time I was happy just to get a diagnosis of "something" as felt I was banging my head against a brick wall, getting told It was depression or post traumatic stress, the only thing that was stressing me out was the constant problems I was having with my health, I went to the Gp with an arms length of things wrong with me, asked to be referred to hospital, Doc wrote to them and rheumatologist wrote back saying to diagnose me with fibro!!

Its only now when I think the only thing I got was blood tests for several things which all came back fine that I think was it easier to fob me off and just dose me up with copious amount of meds instead of running tests to out rule other things, I don't wish for to have a mis diagnosis, but it is something I should consider to question the next time I go to the Doctors... Thanks for the reply guys..
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:42 pm

You are very welcome and it definitely is something that needs considering especially now as it is going to play on your mind till its put to rest :goodluck2: :goodluck2: at the docs and let us know how you get on :-D :-D
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Katie Louise » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:14 pm

This is one thing that really concerns me I had one rheumatologist appointment and got poked and prodded a 10 minute appointment for them to say it is fms partly because my dad has it I think, however my knees have always and often give way on me for no reason and no my brain is not telling me when to empty my bladder and urology don't understand what is going on I wish there was someone out there on health that would listen to everything rather than saying let deal with one thing at a time. If they listened to everything i wouldn't have to tell 10 different doctor over again whilst they choose one thing to listen to because it is soooo difficult to get the same doctor sorry ot wasn't supposed to end up as a bit of a rant xx

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk
Katie Louise
UKFM Member

Postby Diane64 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:26 pm

No worries, rant away..it is really frustrating when you go for different things and there is no connection made with all the professionals involved, this happened to me for a while till I wrote a long list refused to be fobbed off, just unsure if I have been fobbed though because it was easier to say this is what you have instead of lets look into this further, or maybe there is specific things I do suffer from that is definite a fibro thing and not anything else..just would like an explanation as to how they came to the conclusion without further tests to out rule anything other than that.. x
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby Katie Louise » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:28 pm

You hot the on the head there i too have written a list its not the answer you are necessarily looking for its how they get to that answer that lets you know that you have been heard x

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk
Katie Louise
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems