Painful cramps which can attack every few minutes

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Painful cramps which can attack every few minutes

Postby Glb123 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:59 pm

I get cramps in different places which come out of the blue or can happen in bed when I am relaxing, which are so painful they take my breath away and make me feel sick with the pain.
My doctor has done tests but does not know what is causing them.
I started years ago, getting occasional cramps in different places at different times for a couple of minutes here and there but now get them 4-5 times in the same place repeatedly one after the other on occasions, usually over my right ribs.
My hands go into cramps occasionally and my toes, but the most painful is over my ribs, which is more on the right side than the left. I have to stop what I am doing and suffer the excruciating pain until it goes away.
I am sure my doctor thinks it is all in my head. Can anyone tell me if this is part of FM, I have been diagnosed as having ME yet this is not part of it?
Glb123
UKFM Newbie

Re: Painful cramps which can attack every few minutes

Postby denys » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:46 pm

Costo is an inflammation of the rib cartilage, and is sometimes diagnosed by pushing on the sternum, (area at the top where your ribs join) or by pushing on any sore spot on your ribs. Either should cause intense pain. *However*, not everyone with CC will respond like that.

In the beginning, costo is usually worse,it feels like there is an elephant sitting on your chest, it hurts to breathe, ribs hurt all over with intermittent sharp, stabbing pains, and usually a few "sore spots" on your ribs, that you would faint if someone poked you there. You might also feel like you are having a heart attack. Eventually, it might go down to a dull, but constant ache, or simply the feeling of sore ribs. It hurts to wear a bra, and different motions, like picking a child up from the floor, can cause a flare up, with intense pain. When it is a chronic condition, it tends to wax and wane, come and go. It might be better for a while, then you will reach for something in the wrong position and bam!, it is right back again.

I have copied this from the internet for you it is something to consider and ask your doc about, of course it might be that this isnt you at all but I would say it does need to be looked into so maybe a little insistence at the docs :?: :?: :?: :?:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems