Rapid weight gain and extreme fatigue

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby E-Bunny » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:07 pm

Hi Guys,

The last 6 weeks have been awful for me, and not sure how much more i can take..

Over the last 6 weeks i have gained 3st in weight, and just lately its becoming near impossible to get out of bed and sleeping 16/20 hours a day ( I'm even dreaming that i am fatigued and sleeping throughout the dreams o.O )

I am currently waiting for a CT scan as what my GP thought was constipation ( which was ruled out quite quickly ), turns out to be a lump or mass on my bowel which is causing me a shed load of pain on top of the usual Fibro =(

I have also been losing control of my epilepsy recently, after 7 months of control my sz have now gone from sp's to cp's (but that is for a different forum )

My current overly daft list of meds :

Lamictal 200mg X 2 per day ( Epilepsy )
Clobazam 10mg @ night ( Epilepsy )
Sertraline 200mg @ morning ( AD's )
Pregablin 300mg X 2 per day ( Fibro )
Amatryptaline 75mg @ night ( Fibro )
Requip 2mg @ night - Had to stop this as combined with the Amatryptaline caused unexpected sleep attacks during the day. ( RLS )
Betahistine - ( meniere's disease )

Only the Pregablin and Amatryptaline are being taken for the Fibro

I am at a loss as to why my weight has suddenly shot up so quickly, as i have been on all of these meds for a while now, but my diet has not changed.

I have decided to start myself on a ketogenic diet ( Atkins ) which is been shown not just to reduce weight, but may also gain me back some control over my epilepsy, I have done this diet before just hoping i can stick out the 1st 2 weeks ( that's when all the cravings try to hijack every moment of the day lol ).. I have spoken to my GP about this and she has agreed it may be the best option for now.

My worry is that i know my fatigue is only going to be amplified by this.. Have you any tips regarding extreme fatigue, and maybe any theories as to why i have ballooned in such a short period of time ?

Thanks x
E-Bunny
UKFM Member

Re: Rapid weight gain and extreme fatigue

Postby denys » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:13 pm

No idea as to why you have ballooned so quickly but not medically trained :yikes: :yikes: Pregablin is also an anti-convulsant med so maybe your meds are interacting with each other but I would have thought your GP would have checked all of this.

I hope they get you sorted out quickly and everything settles back down for you
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby E-Bunny » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:18 pm

Thanks for your reply.

It was actually my Epilepsy Neuro that spotted the Fibro symptoms and informed my GP i had to see a Rhumatologist. She is the one prescribing meds for everything apart from depression and menier'es. I thought about interactions, but as said i have been on all of these meds for quite a while now =( Im starting to rattle !

Tina x
E-Bunny
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:21 pm

You said you had been reduced to staying in bed, could it be water retention???? as you are becoming less mobile but not reducing your diet???? :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: must be driving you nuts
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Lindilou » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:35 pm

E-bunny, sorry to hear all of this. My weight has also increased, I have thyroid probs and have increased the dose but I have still put on weight like yourself. I've done no less exercise etc than normal. I've no idea why just like yourself. :hugs: :grouphug:
Lindilou

Postby lisaward127 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:03 am

Hello lovelies, I have put on two stone with Fibro treatment and not sure why, having more bloods to see if my kidneys are working properly. I discovered that drinking green teas really help and I hope to lose some weight from taking it, this comes highlights recommended by a close friend and I thought I will share.
http://www.tealux.co.uk/matcha_green_tea_powder

Love Lisa
Lisa Ward
lisaward127
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems