Fibromyalgia and hyperthyroidism

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibromyalgia and hyperthyroidism

Postby Lorirach » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:56 am

Having been given the diagnosis of fm, my gp wanted more tests done as my hands and feet felt like they were burning. My blood tests came back as overactive thyroid, so now I get to take even more tablets. :crazy: Apparently overactive thyroid means you should be running around (according to a friend, not medical knowledge!) but I a completely exhausted, even thinking about what I am writing here is taking huge amounts of effort. The pain isn't bad but it is constant, the tingly feelings in my arms is horrible but liveable but this exhaustion is killing me. I can barely walk my children to school. Feeling decidedly glum today and it is so hard to put a smile on my face for my children. BUt you can't be miserable in the playground - there is only so much sympathy it appears, after a couple of months people are fed up of hearing about it, which I don't blame them, but it is so hard to be happy and positive when really you are so exhausted. You would think being this exhausted I would sleep well at night but I don't, If I get three hours I am doing well!

Well, thanks for reading, I just wanted to rant a little but I have no one in the 'real world' to talk to :cry: There is only so much my hubby can take!
Lorirach
UKFM Member

Re: Fibromyalgia and hyperthyroidism

Postby Minilady » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:35 pm

Hi Lorirach,

Just read your post from yesterday. It struck a chord with me as I,too was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid (Graves disease) a few ago. The biggest irony is,I recovered after being on medication but never felt well. After being referred to various consultants and numerous tests later I was told I had FM. Have since read there is a link between auto immune diseases and FM. I sympathise with you regarding the exhaustion - it's so debilitating but if it's any consolation,you're not alone :roll:
Minilady
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:01 am

I have been diagnosed over 25 years now. A few years ago was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. Thyroid removed, radiation treatments. Anyway.... Throughout this I have heard that a few Dr's believe that there is a relationship between fibro and the thyroid. I would like to find out what other info there could be between the thyroid and fibro.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Minilady » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:56 am

Hi Whoami,

Sorry to hear about your thyroid problems. Hope you're doing ok now. I have heard there's a definitely link between FM and the thyroid. I had an over active thyroid (Graves) which got better after treatment. However,I never regained full health and was eventually diagnosed with FM. Am also keen to find out more info.
Minilady
UKFM Member

Postby Lorirach » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:29 am

Thank you, although I am sad that you are suffering too, it is nice to know I am not alone.....misery does love company, so they say ;) I hadn't heard about any relation between the thyroid and FM but I am new to both! Just relieved to know the exhaustion is real and not me being lazy!

Today 2 of my children are ill, so it's even more exhausting than usual but I am taking it minute by minute! Not sure if I will be making it to work tomorrow though :s It is so hard balancing life at home and having the strength to go to work - but sadly bills need to be paid so work I must! At least I have a supportive husband, that in itself is far more than a lot of people I know who have FM have!

Anyway, thanks for replying - I appreciate it x
Lorirach
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems