Dry/cracked/sore mouth?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Dry/cracked/sore mouth?

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:52 pm

Hi,

I don't know if anyone else has this? I think it's called Angular Cheilitis (sp?). My mouth and lips have been like this since January and it's really annoying me, it looks terrible. I've even had a rash that spreads out up to my nose!!

It has come and (almost) gone about 4 times. My GP originally gave me a hydrocortisone cream and a fungal infection thing, but although they worked a bit to start with, they got worse again while I was still taking them. Which makes me think it's something else.

The dry mouth from the Amitriptyline and me having to talk more on return to work is making it much worse again. I have been using Blistex til the cows come home (single handedly keeping the chemist in business!) but I am REALLY self conscious about it and hate it and want it gone!

I don't know whether it's a fibro thing or not. Has anyone else got or had this?
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Re: Dry/cracked/sore mouth?

Postby ..:: lisa ::.. » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:37 pm

I feel like I am following you lol!

My partner has this and he's also gone through various creams, I think the Dr told him it could be down to a vitamin deficiency.... and it's true when his diet is bad that's when it tends to flare up.

I've suffered with a dry mouth since I became ill and also got put on amitriptyline and yes it does make it even worse, I even tried artificial saliva which sounds as disgusting as it actually is!

But as we know not one size fits all so it might be worth looking in to.
I know they do special toothpaste and mouthwash as well as some kind of gum, I just can't remember what it's called but when all else fails... ask google :)

Though it won't fix the Angular Cheilitis it might help stop it cracking even more, plus stop your mouth seizing up mid convo :fingerscrossed:
—(••÷[ I may ramble at times as my train of thought has crashed. Please be patient and bare with me ]÷••)—
..:: lisa ::..
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:36 pm

I had this, along with a really strange hot, itchy rash around my mouth that would come and go. I tried all sorts of things...but eventually found out it was caused by a gluten intolerance! So it might be worth cutting gluten out of your diet for a while and see if it improves.
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:18 pm

Hi again Lisa! :lol: It's not a Vitamin deficiency as mine are all normal now. I have never heard of artificial saliva!! Will investigate, thanks.

Carolad, that's the same rash as me! I cut out gluten for a while years ago before I was diagnosed with IBS, and all I remember is that it was incredibly difficult to plan meals :(
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby carolad » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:53 pm

Zia2014 wrote:Hi again Lisa! :lol: It's not a Vitamin deficiency as mine are all normal now. I have never heard of artificial saliva!! Will investigate, thanks.

Carolad, that's the same rash as me! I cut out gluten for a while years ago before I was diagnosed with IBS, and all I remember is that it was incredibly difficult to plan meals :(

It is hard at the start but it gets easier :) And there are lots of gluten free products available in the supermarkets now so you can still have GF versions of bread, biscuits, cereal, pasta, pizza... I've got uses to it now so it's not a problem :) And the best thing - no more rash and no more sores on the corners of my mouth. I have taken gluten by mistake a few times and the rash comes back, so I know gluten is definitely the cause. Definitely worth trying a gluten free diet again :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby JYB » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:12 pm

Get your B12 levels checked, but do a little research first then you will be aware of the "normal" range and optimum level for good health. Have a look on the site B12 awareness.org for information.
JYB
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:13 pm

Well, I've not got a gluten intolerance/coeliacs. My mouth has got better but I'm guessing only because I've been at home and not in such a hot environment (my office is *very* hot).

Was tested for B12 alongside a gazillion other things already, so it's not that. I was especially concerned about that one as my mum has low B12, but it really is fine.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems