I feel like a baby!!

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

I feel like a baby!!

Postby ..:: lisa ::.. » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:15 am

I do....

I have the dentist this afternoon, only going for a filling but.... I'm nervous.
I haven't had any dental work since I became poorly!

What worries me is I can't keep my mouth open for long, it feels like my jaw is going to snap!

I've never liked those dentist needles, just something about them going in to the gum, it's really not normal lol

Then the drill and vibration, I'm sensitive to touch so am wondering what this is going to feel like...

Then the aftermath. I can't remember the last time I had a filling I don't remember it being painful (I don't think)
But with pain already in my face, I just don't want to add to it.

I had a bad reaction yesterday to a new beta blocker so feel like it's just going to be another uncomfortable day.

How do your dental visits go?

Have you felt more pain than usual with dental work?

I'm also frustrated with myself as I've never had any concerns with the dentist before, this should just be a simple task!
—(••÷[ I may ramble at times as my train of thought has crashed. Please be patient and bare with me ]÷••)—
..:: lisa ::..
UKFM Member

Re: I feel like a baby!!

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:57 pm

Advise your dentist about your condition and problems. It might be worth incl a bit of info about FM {from a reputable source} to help with any questions that your dentist may have. Also include details of meds your are taking, and dosages, as there is always a slight chance of potential interactions between them and stuff that the dentist may use in the course of treatment. And ask for the info to be added to your records, both pooter and paper, so it can be seen when someone needs to look at them.

With you finding difficult keeping your mouth open for extended periods of time difficult, make sure your dentist knows how long you can manage before needing to do whatever is necessary to help ease things, that way, treatment can be done accordingly to fit in with what you can manage. Same with sitting, and any other problems you may have with the chair. Due to dizziness, if the chair goes back to quickly it can make me :puke: :puke: :puke: so I tend to need it to go back in several stages to minimise the chances of :puke: :puke: :puke: happening.

Wrt to how things may feel, try to bear in mind that what has changed is how we perceive the intensity of sensation, rather than the actual intensity of the treatment itself. Having this thought, and focussing on it, whilst it won't really do anything to reduce how things feel, can help you take a step back in your mind, to a point where, altho you are aware of what is happening, it doesn't seem to be as close and in your face as it would be if you were concentrating directly on it. Distracting yourself in other ways, such as listening to some music, or relaxation~type track thru headphones, can help. You'd need to check if it would be OK with your dentist, as well as agreeing on a sign or other indicator to be used if the dentist needs to speak to you, or you need a pause in things due to how you may be feeling.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby ..:: lisa ::.. » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:04 pm

Thank you.

It wasn't as bad as I had built it up to be in my head :nono:

The things I found difficult were not being able to swallow, keeping my mouth open so long and getting up after it was all done :crazy:

I followed your advice and did some meditation type breathing through the whole of it so the actual drilling etc didn't really bother me :-D

I'm feeling it now though :yikes:
—(••÷[ I may ramble at times as my train of thought has crashed. Please be patient and bare with me ]÷••)—
..:: lisa ::..
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:13 pm

My dentist allows me time to swallow etc. and to close my mouth for a few seconds, so its always worth telling them you are having problems with certain thins and that you have FM. Glad it didnt turn out as bad as you were expecting :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:16 pm

Glad things weren't as bad as you were worried about. For visits in the future, tell them about the swallowing and other bits and they should work with you to try and minimise the discomfort as best they can.

My dentist is as mad as a box of frogs, certainly makes for interesting appts when I need to go :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems