Tight throat muscles

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Tight throat muscles

Postby happybunny » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:18 pm

Hello!
Hope somebody can tell me if what has happened to me is to be expected with fibro.......
i use an E cigarette occasionally, dont know why but i thought it might be a stress buster.. yeah..... i know...... srange but i am a carer and suffer a lot of stress having to stand up at work and it all gets too overwhelming trying to be everything to everyone.
Any way............. :(
i took a few puffs and my chest and throat felt like leaden weights and i was really aware that i couldnt take a big deep lung busting breath..AT ALL.
Very very scary.
It did pass eventually and i knew the answer is Dont Do It !
I have found that swallowing is sometimes a bit laboured as if i had forgotten how to,and that sometimes the food just wont go down.
Does anyone have any experience of this too?
I would be keen to hear if anyone else has had this too and also if it is a symptom, so far i cant find anything similar on my searches.
Thank you in advance!!! :-|
happybunny
UKFM Member

Re: Tight throat muscles

Postby ..:: lisa ::.. » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:34 pm

Hello

I have dysphagia, I really struggle to swallow.

I was told by speech and language people to do some relaxation before swallowing... I don't know if this works because I don't eat proper food.

Have you seen your gp?

I sometimes forget I can't swallow properly and just as I'm choking I remember haha!

I'm not sure if it's a fibro thing, I think it might be.
My theory on it was my muscles have become weak everywhere else, why not my throat too..

Do you have trouble chewing too or just the swallowing?

Oh and don't feel bad about the ecig, I use one too, I'm trying to pack up smoking :nono:
—(••÷[ I may ramble at times as my train of thought has crashed. Please be patient and bare with me ]÷••)—
..:: lisa ::..
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:50 pm

Perhaps see a dr about this. I dont have any problems with my throat, breathing or swallowing x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Gilly52 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:32 pm

Hi happybunny

Yes, I do sometimes have a problem swallowing, I have to be careful and chew all my food well, can be a pain sometimes as everyone else always finishes before me, as my eating has to be slow otherwise I have a horrible choking feeling, I have large tonsils which doesn't really help the situation, I think my tonsils should have come out when I was a child, but in my day you just got dosed up with
pencillin and sent on your way.

I have always associated my problem with anxiety, but as you suggest it could be down to our throat muscles becoming tight, with fibro, I can get an ache in my throat, which is nothing like a sore throat is to swallow.

Like you also I use an E cigarette, sure I would feel better if I could give up all together, but I don't think I have reached that stage yet :(
I am sorry I can't be of any more help, if you are worried, maybe a visit to the gp would be beneficial for you.
Take Care :-)
Gilly52
UKFM Member

Postby Diane64 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:17 pm

Hi there, I cant comment re your first query but do get problems with my throat a lot, it started off initially thinking I had something stuck in my throat and this went on for weeks, had asked the dentist to check at the time as it was driving me crazy.
it comes and goes now and get less irritated by it.

And yea I also have problems swallowing food, drink even just swallowing in general, its like I have forgotten that its a natural thing to do and have to concentrate to do it, I have even found myself forgetting to breath then comes on in a big burst of needing air, it sounds a bit dramatic and doesn't happen every day but it def does, if you do a search on here there is info from other members. but if at all worried about it your best getting it checked out for peace of mind. :-)
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby Carrie Nourse » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:57 am

Hi, I have the same problem with swallowing and I have to chew my food very carefully so its easier to swallow and I use a lot of gravy or sauces to make it softer, its a wicked circle though as if you worry about it then your throat muscles tighten up and then you cant swallow so you do have to concentrate more so you don't choke. I do find my throat muscles do ache and I have a tender point just under my neck but I think its where I choked on some food one day but it did leave me feeling bruised down my throat when I swallowed but hopefully things might improve.
Carrie Nourse
UKFM Member

Postby happybunny » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:45 pm

thank you all for your thoughtful replies.
your experiences certainly had me nodding along and really appreciating how we all suffer but muddle through ourselves with a happy resigned and sometimes frustrated attitude. i think thats what i mean!
i will make an appointment to discuss it with the doc.What good it will do ,i dont know??
love and hugs to you all!!!! :-D
happybunny
UKFM Member

Postby oliviajane » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:02 pm

Sorry im late with a reply to your post.
Ii have suffered with throat spasms and they got so bad that I have been rushed to hospital twice with suspected heart attack. The pain in my throat goes into my jaw and chest but all test show my heart is fine. I do hope you feel better soon .
oliviajane
UKFM Newbie

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:59 am

I found wearing a mouthguard at night which you can get at your dentist very helpful for tension in the throat
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems