Hand arthritis?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hand arthritis?

Postby carolad » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:54 pm

I've had pain and stiffness in my fingers, particularly in the morning, for quite a few years now. When I mentioned this to my GP, she said that it was arthritis and I had to expect this as I got older (I was about 32 at the time :-?) Anyway, I now have pain in the base of my thumb and my wrist as well - the right hand is worse than the left and the knuckles on my right hand are slightly swollen. So I presume this is arthritis too.

I was just wondering if there are any exercises I can do or anything that I should avoid to stop this getting worse. Or is it just a case of putting up with it? :-|
carolad
UKFM Member

Re: Hand arthritis?

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:02 pm

I have arthritis. I just put up with it. Its loads worse in the morning when I get up. I cant use my singers or bend them. This lasts less than half an hour though. Not sure what to suggest. I think I use my hands too much on the ipad which I think makes it worse lol When I rest, I tend to go on there and play games. I'm right handed and the pain is worse in the right hand, so it makes sense!
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Re: Hand arthritis?

Postby carolad » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:11 pm

Theresa34 wrote:I have arthritis. I just put up with it. Its loads worse in the morning when I get up. I cant use my singers or bend them. This lasts less than half an hour though. Not sure what to suggest. I think I use my hands too much on the ipad which I think makes it worse lol When I rest, I tend to go on there and play games. I'm right handed and the pain is worse in the right hand, so it makes sense!

Ah yes, I will go on my laptop in the evenings to chat to people online so I'm trying to limit that and give my hands a rest!
carolad
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems