Olfactory hallucinations?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Olfactory hallucinations?

Postby rich44 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:18 am

Has anyone come across this before? During my latest "crash" I've started experiencing smells which aren't present.

My wife us extremely sensitive to smells as they trigger sinus pain and migraine to the point where I have to use the right Deodorant. So I ask her can you smell that and it's always no.

We live in rural Norfolk up a hill (yes we do have some lol) and always sleep with the Windows open and during an attack I'll smell something like overwhelmingly strong chemical pine, no one else can smell it.

I've also had an increase in migraines and headaches. No meds have been changed recently.

I feel like I'm losing what few marbles I have left. I decided to abuse a friendship and saw a gp who knows my wife and got THREE referrals out of her and nearly an hour of her time too.

Feel like such a waste of space & that I'm letting my kids and wife down with all the things I can't do :cry:
rich44
UKFM Member

Re: Olfactory hallucinations?

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:59 am

Have you had your sinuses checked?
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby rich44 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:46 am

Had my sinuses drilled and washed (2 weeks in hospital) many moons ago.

My breathing is really clear and no sinus trouble at the moment, it's a good thought though.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:52 pm

Problems with olfactory hallucinations/phantom smells does pop up once in a while. Maybe try searching using phrases such as smells that aren't there or real, phantom odours and any other combinations that come to mind to see what there is on here.

It's something that I get now and again, usually when I'm about to be hit with a major crash/flare or a really bag migraine. If it's going to be a migraine, the smell tends to be a artificial/synthetic banana~like one, a bit like some milkshakes that are solely flavoured artificially and have an equally artificial colour to them. At other times it can be like the smell that comes from plug holes that have never been cleaned out.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby rich44 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:34 pm

Ewwww that sounds unpleasant, oh well at least I'm not on my own gp pulled a bit of a face when I mentioned it along with the electric shock sensations, loss of biofeedback in bladder etc. Was the kind if face that says I don't like the sound of this but I'm not going to say anything just refer you off so someone else can dish out the bad news later.

Or maybe I'm just getting paranoid too lol.

Thanks for sharing your experiences made me feel a bit better. My major flare up started Oct last year and gone on since then unfortunately.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:08 pm

I get this.. but in my case I don't think its the Fibro (for a change :lol: )

I for many years (since before getting Fibro) have suffered sinus problems and nasal polyps. it's down to foods I eat which make them worse or better. but anyway, most of the time I don't have a sense of smell at all and can't breathe through my nose.

but occasionally I do find I smell things even though I have no sense of smell. for example I'll smell something that I think is like some sort of food smell, or maybe a chemical smell, I'm never quite sure what it is. sounds daft maybe, but I go so long without smelling anything that when I do smell it, I can't always tell what it is.

I sometimes think I'm smelling things that I was exposed to some time before - for example I might be at a petrol station, can't smell the petrol, but later on or the following day I can. weird I know.

I think I start to smell 'something' when I'm getting the polyps under control a little bit (but then invariably I eat something I shouldn't and set myself back a few steps. I know, I know. :roll: but sometimes I just fancy a piece of cake or some pasta!)

but anyway that's just me :-D
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems