How will I cope with a baby?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

How will I cope with a baby?

Postby Hannah24 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:11 pm

Hi,

I posted a message on here back in May about finding out I was pregnant and my concerns.

Whilst I can't change the fact that I am pregnant and what may come during the pregnancy (or what has already!), I am really concerned about how I am going to cope when the lil' one is here.

I already have two older children (who I had prior to developing fibro) and who are more or less independent - in fact they help me out a lot. I have felt since developing fibro that I am not a great mum and my kids go without. I'm not talking about material possessions but my time, interaction and support. I feel like a bad mum!

My problem is that I have no idea how I am going to cope with a newborn baby? I struggle to lift even the smallest of weights, sometimes I can't get out of bed, I can't bend over, I struggle to walk up and down stairs. These are just a few of my everyday problems but when you throw a baby into the picture I don't know what to do. We are trying to get help with direct payments from social services but they have been really unhelpful. We are now in the process of complaining to them and their conduct. I'm still not sure how much they can help anyway. My kids help out and my husband (despite being registered blind) are very supportive and helpful but this doesn't help me during the day time. I don't have any friends or family in the area I live so I can't rely on them.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved. If you have been in a similiar position I would love to know how you managed. Even if you haven't - I would still love to hear anyone's ideas. xxx
Hannah24
UKFM Member

Re: How will I cope with a baby?

Postby rich44 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:57 pm

We found that because you have to do it that you find the strength to push through to look after a baby whereas ordinarily you wouldn't cope.

I did all the night feeds with ours and still managed to work full time at the time.

It's hard to really describe it but it's different than having to do something for yourself.

Admittedly I wasn't as ill back then but the fatigue was appalling, I don't know whether it's endorphins or whatever but definitely found I could do things that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to do, not that it wasn't hard.

Still trying to persuade the wife for number 3
rich44
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems