Fibro and Periods

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibro and Periods

Postby charlotteerika » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:45 pm

Hi,

I have read that woman with Fibro often have worse symptoms just before their period however mine seems to be just after. However it does not really matter when it happens but the frequency. I have been documenting that over the last few months I am getting these 'flare ups' every month now and I am not sure how I can deal with having one once a month for an average of 1-2 weeks at a time, this results in half a year being in a 'flare up' state!

Does anyone have any ideas/successes in dealing with this side of Fibro? I am taking 5-HTP which in the last few months has been a godsend as I was in constant flare up mode before taking them. Now when I can deal with my condition better for some of the time it makes the times that I do get the flare up even harder to deal with if that makes sense! What I mean by that it the 5-HTP has helped me feel better and 'normal' again so when it hits it seems to hit harder. Any ideas? Thanks in advance :-?
charlotteerika
UKFM Member

Re: Fibro and Periods

Postby TNK* » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:50 pm

Womens issues can be affected by anything, so I can imagine FM being a cause for disturbances what with aches, pains, meds, sleep patterns!

For me its during my period, i get horrendous IBS, its the only time i get it, but i can be crippled for hours on end!

I think for you you, you may need to see your gp, they could review your meds, or possibly offer you some form of contraceptive where you done have periods, you may or may not need the contraception, but the side effects are worth while, the implant can cease periods for a length of time, as can the Mirena coil! maybe then you wont have the hormonal changes each month which triggers a flare up

Worth having a chat
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:43 am

My fibro doesnt affect my periods. My thyroid going haywire does. It makes them vary in amount and length and also makes them all over the place. They're stable now, so no problems :-)
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Lovinglady1111 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:10 am

Hi,

When I get my period, I am in constant pain, I feel crippled with pain in my legs, ankles and wrists...as well as the usual cramps that come with being a woman, every joint I have really, and muscle pain. More so than usual.
My fibro flares up around this time and feel so annoyed when it is that time again. I usually get stabbing like pains in my legs and feet
due to fibro but during my period I can barley move unless Im doped up on pain meds for 3-5 days and hot water bottle helps. Heat pads and hot water bottles and saunas help with my pain especially during these times.

Im new to this forum, was diagnosed early 2014, so just finding out more about the condition and seems there are a lot of people here that have similar problems as mines. No getting a proper rest when sleeping at night and restless legs, seems to keep me from having a goodnights sleep. Rather annoying when you work 36 hours a week but hey it seems there are a lot of people here doing the same and struggling housework,work life as well as Fibro.

Jen <3
Lovinglady1111
UKFM Newbie

Postby Minilady » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:00 am

Hi,

I struggle every month too. My Fibro definitely flares up. Awful heavy pains in my legs and unable to sleep. My cycle is very short (24 days) so there only seems to be a few days where it's a little better. I take Mefenmaic Acid for my heavy periods but recently I've been having very itchy skin/raised red lumps within an hour of taking the meds. Not sure why as I've been on it for over a year. Does anyone else take it and could therefore shed any light? Not sure if its just down to a sensitivity (with the fibro) or something more?

Em x
Minilady
UKFM Member

Postby charlotteerika » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:40 pm

SO UPDATE!

Well I went to my Dr in England as I thought NHS free and because I have a woman Dr. I phoned them to discover she was on maternity leave so I got a 'stand-in'. The 'stand-in' happened to be my previous Dr who I really do not like as every issue you have is concluded as 'it is related to your period as you are a woman'! I then thought great this IS related to my period so he might actually do something for me this time!!!

I told him I did not want painkillers and the same type of meds as Lyrica as I had awful side effects from them. But he still prescribed me Amitriptyline, GREAT, not!

So I came back to Ireland and I went to my Dr who is a woman, she asked me if I have ever tried Evening Primrose Oil tablets and told me that they have been proven to help with period pains and other issues. She said unless I really need contraception it is not advisable to take the pill so I have not. So I started taking Evening Primrose Oil tablets and I had my period last week and now after I feel great, no Fibro flare up with the natural approach I wanted!

Thanks for your comments and advice,
Charlotte:) xxx
charlotteerika
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems