Flu like symptoms

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Flu like symptoms

Postby Loads » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:00 pm

Hi all,

Im trying to get my head round the fact that up until a few months ago i was feeling fine with no symptoms of Fibro apart from some toes burning every now and then. All of a sudden, since probably July i have developed burning sensations in most parts of my body and my arms and legs ache as and when they decide too. Ive started waking up at silly o'clock in the morning and even when i manage to sleep until about 6am I'm completely shattered all day. Now all of a sudden over the past few days i feel like i have the flu and my chest is tight. I know that i haven't got the flu because it feels different, i also feel somewhat sick too. If i sit down for any longer than 10 minutes i get really stiff. Im a bit concerned to be honest as like I say, it all seems to have happened really quickly. Is this common? Hope someone can advise.

Ian
Loads
UKFM Newbie

Re: Flu like symptoms

Postby migrembe » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:22 pm

So what changed?

medication? work? family life? stress levels? or anything can cause the FM to flare.

if nothing as changed i would go see your GP.

i was waking up in the night breathless although i have no known breathing issues and it was found by working backwards to when the symptoms had changed to find that i had reduced the pain pills because they were upsetting my stomach. The Dr changed the pills that protect my stomach i could increase the cocodamol and everything settled down.

bev
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Loads » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:58 pm

Hi Bev,

Ive been in and out of depression for a while due to mainly being out of work, apart from that nothing much. I haven't started taking the meds prescribed for me as they made me feel rubbish, well at least i thought it was the meds!
Loads
UKFM Newbie

Postby suecam » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:05 pm

I always get the same flu like symptoms, I felt for ages nobody understood-especially when they don't understand fibro anyway! I see two GP's in my practice who are really very good, they tell me the flu like symptoms are connected with a dip in the fibro. When I'm like that I up the dose of some of my tablets-with the consent from both GP's-accept that I can't get much done and that the best thing for me is to sleep it off and I'm usually better after a couple of days. Keep well.x
suecam
UKFM Member

Postby iblinkin » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:10 pm

Hi Loads, sorry you are feeling bad and I'll try to make this short. Not sure if fibro is new to you or not? If it is then it would be a very good idea to educate yourself as much as possible on this illness, so as not to drive yourself crazy trying to deal every symptom that appears. it can drive you to the edge at times being overwhelmed with trying to cope with so many things at once, so please keep this mind and speaking of ones mind.. it's extremely important to keep a positive outlook or this will be harder on you in regards to your symptoms and they can blow out of porportion and get worse.

The firo symptoms come and go like the seasons, and every year at this time my ribs go into severe spasms to the point it fractured my one rib in 2009.. no joke! When the symptoms do appear, be sure to stay calm and rest and it's also important to listen to your body because it will tell you when you can start to do things again. others will try to make you do things beyond your current capacity, don't let them as your rest and recovery are important during a flareup which is what you are probably dealing with right now.

Also important is your diet.. if you can, go online and read up on what foods you can and cannot eat for fibro as your diet is extremely important with this condition (look up nightshade foods.) also you should get your vitamin D levels checked because it's common for our levels to be very low and will cause upper respiratory infections and it's actually a hormone and fibro screws up our hormones so it's good to get them all checked! Don't take vitamin D pills as they don't work that good, i use D drops in liquid form.

In regards to the buring feet i have been eating yogurt and salmon to reduce the uric acid levels in my body and it seems to have helped.. not perfect but it does help and if you are dealing with ibs then the yogurt should help with that as well, except quite often the case is we can get so upset that we can trigger ibs symptoms. Important to keep your protein levels up when doing anything physical, even if it's just walking somewhere! Magnesium and potasium are also important! Sorry if i sound preachy, I'm just trying to help as I've been through a lot myself and helping others with things that i have found worked helps me cope with this fibro in a positive light. Good luck and i hope you feel better soon! :-D
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split large post into smaller paragraphs, plus bit of twiddling with punctuation and grammar to make things a little easier to read.
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby Loads » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:57 pm

Thank you Suecam and Iblinkin for your replies, i really do appreciate it and there has been some useful advice too. ;-)

Iblinkin, I'm awaiting the results of my blood test for Vitamin D and I've recently started taking Magnesium tablets as well as fish oil.

So do you think stress has a significant factor with Fibro then?

Like I say, i really do appreciate the comments you have all made so thank you.
Loads
UKFM Newbie

Postby iblinkin » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:37 pm

Hi Loads, you are most welcome and really glad to help! Yes, yes, yes stress is one of thee biggest triggers that we have and we have to learn how to process stress and not let it destroy us as we have a tendency to worry over the craziest or simplist things even though they seem rather large to us.

Also i had just come across Magnesium oil for muscle pain and spasms, it works! I use Neuro-Mag for magnsesium, (not cheap) available online and it's a highly formulated form and i find this helps but you may find something that works for you as we fibro warriors are not all the same. This one helps with spasms and also memory and cognitive functions and i have made good improvements in those areas.

I know i threw a lot at you but we do have a lot going on.. right? Be careful with perfumes or colognes as they are actually chemicals and it's common for us to be sensitive to them to the point it makes us very ill. And speaking of chemicals, tobacco products are extremely bad for us and that's not good if you are a smoker.

I hope your Dr. hasn't put you on any diuretics as that's also nasty as it removes very important minerals from our bodies and that's one reason why my rib fractured. Good luck and calm and if i think of anything else i will post it for you. If you can.. eat a banana every day for the potasium!

iblinkin
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: split into smaller paragraphs for easier reading.
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby Loads » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:58 am

Hi Iblinkin,

I started taking FSC 500mg Magnesium 90 Capsules a couple of weeks ago - they had really good reviews on Amazon and Solgar re a decent brand. I'll have a look at Neuro-Mag though as you have recommended them. Here I am again up really early, I've been awake since 2.30am, this has been the 5th day on the trot that I've been sitting here at 4am in the morning!

I do tend to drink to much, perhaps 3/4 glasses of wine a night, its just one of those bad habits that i keep putting off, probably because it helps with the stress of being out of work! Can I presume that alcohol is bad for Fibro warriors as you called them?

The doctor, i.e, the Rheumi, has put me on 5mg of Amitriplyine but I only took it for two nights as i felt really rubbish the following morning so I stopped taking them, do you think I should start again?

Note: I made an error in this original post saying that i take Solgar magnesium, this was an error and I take Solgar for my vitamin C. Sorry!
Loads
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:22 am

I had a constant feeling of flu a month before diagnosis. Since starting vitamin D and taking Amitriptyline for sleep & pain, the feeling went away. That was Feb this year the diagnosis. In Aug this year the feeling returned for 3 days but it was worse than normal flu. Looking back I'm wondering whether it was a bad flare. I have no idea but I do know how horrible it is x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:40 am

Hi Loads

The medication didn't really work for me and now i only take cocodamol which takes the edge of things but does nothing for the fatigue.I think your symptoms are probably FM and are worse because of the lack of sleep. if you are not having to get up for work i would start taking the Ami again and take it every night for at least 3 weeks before you go back to the dr and say its not helping, hopefully it will help you sleep and the sleep will help calm the symptoms. I do find the FM symptoms far worse on the nights i don't sleep but i find meditation helps me quiet my mind so i can sleep. No idea about the alcohol as i don't drink it, but every night is probably not good for you.

Bev
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:58 pm

:cow-wave: :cow-wave: Ian and :welcome: to our FibroFamily.

I've popped you over into here as it's a more suitable board for what you are asking about, and won't get as quickly caught up in other topics posted like it was in its original place. I think that's why I've only just spotted you as I was looking thru things.

The flu~like symptoms you are experiencing can be related to FM, and for some can be an indicator of things starting to misbehave and flare~up. I get absolutely stuffed~up when Kevin {the name I give the purple minion which represents my health issues} decides he's going to stir up the fatigue side of things {I also have the CFS/ME card in my collection}

The stiffness when sitting down for too long is also part of the process for a lot of us, along with the feeling :puke: :puke: :puke: and the feeling you have around your rib area. However, as you're probably quickly realising with FM, nothing is really straight forward :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

With there being such a vast array of possible symptoms and issues which are somewhat vague and unpredictable, many of them can also be associated with/attributed to other illnesses and conditions as well, so when you experience something new/different, intensifying, or just generally giving you cause for concern, please don't just assume it is FM related. If you have any concerns, don't hesitate to go and see your GP, if only for your own peace of mind, to be sure that there isn't anything else causing what you are experiencing.

Stress is something that FM absolutely loves to feed on, the more it gets, the more it wants so it can stir things up as much as possible. I know it is pretty much impossible to live a stress~free life, but if you can have a few things in place to help you wind down, be a little more relaxed when things do start going off, it can help make things that little bit easier to manage. It doesn't matter what it is...something that you like to read, watch, listen to, build, so long as it can take your mind away from what is whirling around you for a little while.

Amitriptyline can be helpful for sleep and pain issues for some, so it might be worth considering giving it another go. it tends to take about a month to really get into your system and take effect, altho others have said that they were feeling benefits from it after a week or 2. What you experienced the mornings after the couple of nights you tried it are fairly typical of the side effects that affect a good number of people at first. Usually they tend to start easing off after a week or so, but if the effect seems to be lingering on longer, a bit of twiddling with the time it is taken each night can help reduce that "morning after the night before" effect.

Alcohol can aggravate things for some people, plus with a lot of the meds used in FM management, alcohol can affect the rates at which the meds can work, by slowing things down, speeding them up, or completely negating their effects. Maybe you need to consider looking at what you are drinking, as well as the amount {if you feel you may be consuming a little too much} to try and make things a little less aggravated for yourself. Some have found that they can no longer drink some types of alcohol that they used to have preFM, and for some, their tolerance has reduced, meaning that after 1 or 2 drinks, they have had enough and can't manage anything other than soft drinks. I'm not saying that this is what is happening with you, just that it may be something to consider exploring to try and make things that bit more settled and manageable for yourself.

Do be careful when it comes to adding supplements and alternative treatments/remedies into the mix, esp if on prescribed and/or OTC meds as there is always a potential chance of things interacting. The usual suggestion is to seek advice from a doc, pharmacist or other suitably qualified healthcare professional before adding things to your cocktail, as well as to be wary about high~strength/dosages that exceed the RDAs. There are some who feel that the RDAs are some what outdated, but there have also been cases where interactions have occurred at levels below RDAs, and the problems they caused were far worse than what were being experienced previously.

Food~wise, some have found that excluding/removing certain food groups/types from their diet has helped improve how they feel. On the flip~side tho, there are others who have found it has made very little or no difference at all, so it's yet another area to be explored to see if mat be helpful to you. Generally, trying to each as well as you can, with a balanced and varied diet, whilst keeping within your budget, is a good point to start from.

Think I've waffled on at you for long enough now. With there being so many possibilities, thoughts and experienced in so many areas where FM is concerned, try to consider things with as open a mind as possible.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems