Allergies

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Allergies

Postby Fibrad » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:43 pm

Hi all
I just wondered what everyone's experience was with regards to allergies. I have always had chronic rhinitus and taken loratadine daily. Over the years, however, my allergies have worsened and I am now discovering more and more things that make me quite ill! Lately I have had awful sinus congestion - a constant production of mucus on one side with the associated pressure pain etc. I am constantly blowing nose or wiping drips (sorry for the detail!) I am wondering now whether I have an intolerance for dairy as bad bouts always seem to follow a meal which often has some dairy produce it it. On days I am clear or clearer, I notice I have eaten little dairy. I have IBS so limit my wheat as that irritates my digestion but now it seems I need to limit or cut out dairy completely - I do wonder what I will have left to eat as more and more things seem to make me ill - I do love my food!! :(
Fibrad
UKFM Member

Re: Allergies

Postby TNK* » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:21 pm

I never used to have allergies, but certainly over the last few years I have developed Hayfever...nothing too bad mind.
But we have always had pets and its never been in issue, but again, over the last few years I have become allergic, particularly to one of our cats (we have 3) Im just assuming its just an age thing, cant blame everything on FM
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:31 pm

I don't have allergies x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:52 pm

Have lots of them :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby carolad » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:57 pm

I have a gluten intolerance. Dairy and gluten are the two most common food intolerances so it may well be that dairy doesn't agree with you. There is a difference by the way, between an 'allergy' and an 'intolerance' - I only found this out fairly recently. An allergic reaction is something that happens quickly (within a few minutes of eating something) and the reaction can be severe. But with an intolerance or sensitivity, symptoms will develop slowly several hours (maybe a day) after eating the problem food. When I eat gluten, it will be 6-8 hours before I notice anything.

Definitely worth cutting dairy out of your diet completely for a few weeks and see if it makes you feel any better.
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:18 am

I too have chronic rhinitis (it's awful isn't it?) I hate the constant wiping my nose - not to mention the "have you got a cold?" comments :roll:

Mine is related to a salicylate intolerance that started a few years ago (2009 if I remember rightly). I suddenly discovered I was allergic to aspirin and ibuprofen which I had never been allergic to before (personally I blame diclofenac which I took for a while for hip bursitis)

anyway as a result of all the running nose/mucus it made my breathing quite bad and worsened my asthma which up until that point had been very mild. so my GP at the time referred me to the hospital, and the doctor there suggested I should try a low salicylate diet as some people who are allergic to aspirin are also intolerant to salicylate

well I tried low salicylate foods for a while and it did indeed seem to help. occasionally I go off this diet (as it is hard to stick to when you like things like tomatoes and strawberries etc) but I really need to try to stick to it more as my sinuses get in a terrible state.

and yes, there's definitely a difference between an allergy and intolerance. if I have an aspirin - which I am allergic to - I get terrible pain all the way down my gullet and through my stomach and feel very ill for several hours (its as if the pain traces the path the aspirin takes through my body). obviously I don't have them anymore!

whereas the salicylate - which I am intolerance to - has to build up in my body over several days until it has an effect. (therefore I can take low amounts of salicylate or the occasional higher amount as long as I don't take too many high salicylate foods in one go)

I've also recently come to realise that bread and pasta (aka wheat) seems to make my nose worse. I haven't though about dairy - to be honest my diet is so restricted on the salicylate I'd hate to give up my beloved cheese too! :twisted: :-)

oops this post ended up being longer than I'd intended. sorry bout that :oops:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:34 am

Past few years i have had hives in the way of pressure hives. Anything i lean on or hold or sit on, basicly anything that applies pressure to the skin for a few minutes causes huge hives! then added to this angeodemia came along so i have daily swelling of the face and lips etc...

When im stresed my nasel passage blocks off so i cant breathe through my nose and my upper body goes red like a sunburn on arms/chest/neck & face :yikes:

I also have rhinitias and hayfever etc but that was before fibro.

I was told the above hives were due to CFS & Fibro but the consultant Dermatologist put the diagnoses on paper as Idopathic. :crazy:

Looks like i have way to much histamine in the body :roll: but not a clue why :-?

Im afraid of anything that with induce the histamine like anything that will cause an allergic reaction for example wasp & bee stings, any foods i havnt tried like certain sea fish etc. Even stinging nettles im cautious of :shock:

Im on anti-histamine fenafexidine (sp) renitidine as apparently this co-operates with the med to tackle reactions of allergy.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby SopsIsTops88 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:19 pm

I have really bad allergies unfortunately...

I'm allergic to most cosmetics and come out in itchy rashes and hives if I use them. Same with cleaning chemicals and synthetic things like washing powder. I'm also allergic to all metals apart from gold.

Certain foods make my IBS really bad and also get a sore mouth and throat if I eat anything with tomatoes or peppers in. I also have cut down on gluten as its makes my tummy really bloated and painful too.

Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SopsIsTops88
UKFM Member

Postby Fibrad » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:41 pm

Thanks for all your replies. I think I need to ask my GP about getting tested for allergies as it could take me months and months to track down the offending food(s) by eliminating things one by one - I did go gluten free for a time to see how that helped with IBS and found it really did make a difference so although not completely gluten free, I keep it to a minimum. I read that dairy products are real mucus producing foods but had never considered tomatoes as a possible enemy - I do eat them most days! It is a real minefield and not quite sure where to begin. Some of my allergies were pre-fibro but have definitely got worse in the past year or so. It seems so silly to complain about a blocked/dripping nose but it makes me feel rotton on top of all the fibro aches, pains and fatigue....not to mention the fact that I am driving anyone around me mad with my sniffing a nose-blowing!! Thanks for listening. :-D
Fibrad
UKFM Member

Postby Beckybecks » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Yes, I've definitely discovered I have more intolerances. It's either as I've aged or as my Fibro has increased. I have had IBS for many years - worse now. Trying to stay gluten free really seems to work best with IBS. In recent years I've also had a number of bad sinus infections - very unpleasant and takes ages to clear. Avoiding Dairy does help with this one. I eventually stopped taking all the meds and took a more natural approach. Saline solution for flushing out sinuses. Lots of vitamin c. Eucalyptus oil in a hot bath to inhale. Saunas. Steam rooms. Or just switching on the shower and keeping the door closed and inhaling the steam. And really just making the effort to keep healthy with the right food, fresh air and exercise.
Newly arrived in the UK from Southern Africa
Beckybecks
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:26 pm

Fibrad wrote:Thanks for all your replies. I think I need to ask my GP about getting tested for allergies as it could take me months and months to track down the offending food(s) by eliminating things one by one -

My GP told me that you can only get an allergy test if you know (roughly) what you are allergic to! He said you could be allergic or intolerant to absolutely anything, and it wasn't possible to do a test for everything. If you narrowed it down to fruit, for example, you could get a test to see which types of fruit you are allergic to.

In any case, I'm not sure that an 'intolerance' would show up in an allergy test. So really the best thing is to do an elimination diet. I know it is a pain though :(

Rather than eliminate foods one at a time, you could try cutting virtually everything out and then gradually bring foods back into your diet - this is the only thing that worked for me. It makes it much easier to work out what the problem food is by doing it this way because if you get a reaction, it pretty much has to be the thing that you have added back into your diet.

In my case, because I had a rash on my face, I didn't know if it was something my skin was coming into contact with, or something I was eating. So I stopped using any sort of product on my face, stopped brushing my teeth with toothpaste (yuck, I know!) and had a diet of plain rice, broccoli and tinned pears (since I read these foods were the least likely to cause reactions). And literally, that was it! Luckily though I only did that for a couple of days and then very gradually started bringing things back into my diet (and went back to using toothpaste!) If you do it this way, only bring one thing back every 2 or 3 days, because an intolerance can take time to have an effect and if you introduce one every day, you won't know which food has caused a reaction. It is a nuisance but I think it is the only way of telling what affects you. And once you know, you know - there is no doubt about it.

Good luck with it :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Fibrad » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:07 pm

Great advice, thank you :-D
Definitely food for thought - assuming that won't make me ill! Had been thinking a lot about stripping my diet right back. I saw a chiropractor a couple of years ago (before Fibro was diagnosed and I thought he could fix me) and although the sessions didn't really help, he did give me lots of diet advice. He advised cutting out wheat, dairy and all processed foods - keeping it as close to its natural form as possible. At the time I really wasn't into all that "my body is a temple" stuff, but now am convinced that is really the way I should be looking at things - my body seems to be screaming at me for mercy. Not that I have abused it (much) - don't drink (for a long time), don't smoke, not too much fatty foods but admit that I love my chocolate, sauces and quick fixes. I have read about upping vit c to rectify sinus problems and am also thinking about stopping my meds and going more natural. Am still coming to terms with the whole fibro thing and containing my anger at the unfairness of it all - no short-cuts I realise, but am grateful though as realise that my pain is nothing compared to many others. Thanks again.
Fibrad
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:18 pm

Fibrad wrote:Great advice, thank you :-D
Definitely food for thought - assuming that won't make me ill! Had been thinking a lot about stripping my diet right back. I saw a chiropractor a couple of years ago (before Fibro was diagnosed and I thought he could fix me) and although the sessions didn't really help, he did give me lots of diet advice. He advised cutting out wheat, dairy and all processed foods - keeping it as close to its natural form as possible. At the time I really wasn't into all that "my body is a temple" stuff, but now am convinced that is really the way I should be looking at things - my body seems to be screaming at me for mercy. Not that I have abused it (much) - don't drink (for a long time), don't smoke, not too much fatty foods but admit that I love my chocolate, sauces and quick fixes. I have read about upping vit c to rectify sinus problems and am also thinking about stopping my meds and going more natural. Am still coming to terms with the whole fibro thing and containing my anger at the unfairness of it all - no short-cuts I realise, but am grateful though as realise that my pain is nothing compared to many others. Thanks again.

I know exactly what you mean :) I am much more conscious now of my diet and generally looking after myself than I've ever been. I think it is because of the realisation that I have to help myself. Medication can only go so far in helping...the rest is down to me looking after myself properly. Sounds like you have the same approach :) And I think for anyone, restricting processed foods is a good idea, it is better to have 'natural' foods making up most of your diet.

Good luck with it, I hope making these changes helps you x
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:25 pm

I've had hayfever for about 12 years, although most bizarrely I didn't get it this year!! Not sure if that was related to the fibro or not... :-?

I also have PLE which is an allergy to the sun, I've had that my entire life. Both conditions pre-date the fibro by a long way.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Gilly52 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:31 pm

I had chronic hay fever from the age of 11, treated withe antihistamines and injections every year, then aged 49, fibro and menopause arrived and kicked hay fever out, I would much rather have just the hay fever to cope with !! However now aged 62 excema reared it's ugly head ,over both my lower legs, calmed a little now with steroid cream, was very uncomfortable and itchy over the warm weather in summer.

So, I know now we are never too old to see allergies cropping up, sometimes i can feel it with certain foods and IBS, just takes time and patience to take things out of my diet and then re introduce them......but sadly patience is not one of my best qualities on certain days :(

Gilly x
Gilly52
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems