Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Postby SopsIsTops88 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:15 pm

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to ask some questions about fibro and chronic fatigue syndrome. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia by a rheumatologist last year but have been experiencing an increase in symptoms that may come under the chronic fatigue syndrome label. Does anyone suffer from both, and how can you tell them apart as both are quite similar?

Thank you

Sophie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SopsIsTops88
UKFM Member

Re: Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:43 pm

On paper my diagnosis is Fibromyalgia with Some Chronic Fatigue. Or similar to that. But when I see my rheumy we dont actually talk about the cfs, only my arthritis and fibro. From what I've read they're almost the same thing. No ideas here lol
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:50 pm

I was diagnosed with fibro just over 2 years ago. at the time my symptoms were random pains only.

but since then things have gotten worse and in the past few months I've found the fatigue getting increasingly worse to the point where I'd say I'm roughly give or take 50-50 pain and fatigue.

but is that 'just' fibro or is it chronic fatigue as well? who knows.

(well, maybe my upcoming rhumatologist appointment will tell me, but that's still about 5 weeks away :roll: thanks to the "wonderful" scottish NHS :roll: )
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:27 pm

A number of members have been diagnosed with both although some GP's think they are one and the same. Personally I think they both exist therefore it must be possible to suffer from both (or is that too logical :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: ) Go and visit your doc and see what they say
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:20 pm

I have been diagnosed with both.

For me CFS is:

The pins & needles, doing any activity and feeling achy and tired after to the point you need to lay down and rest frequantly through the day.

Not having any energy and constantly feeling lathargic.

Needing sleep and/or long periods of rest in the day

Brain fog, mumbling words/forgetting words/cannot get words out

Headaches and feeling generaly unwell like you feel your coming down with the flu/cold but nothing appears

Overwhelming tiredness to the point where you feel your gonna "drop" if you dont get to bed to lie down asap.

Struggling to understand/comminicate as everything what is said sounds like a load of mumble jumble :crazy: :crazy:

Where fibro for me is more to do with muscle stiffness and pain with reduced mobility. Muscle sprains/spasms and pain sensitivity and sleep disturbance
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:27 pm

I was rejected by the CFS clinic for having pain! Which really confuses me as according to everything I have read, you get pain with CFS. Strange.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Theresa34 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:48 pm

Lisa I'm just coming out of a flare at the min. Your description of cfs is a flare up to me. Makes me wonder if it was the cfs I have or the fibro!
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems