[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - dermatitis, rosacea, or something else?

dermatitis, rosacea, or something else?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

dermatitis, rosacea, or something else?

Postby brevicaudate087 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:35 am

Hi everyone,

I have a question about a scaly red rash that's been affecting my face on either side of my nose for the past 12 to 14 months now. There are also five or six small (and one big) flat, red spots on my forehead, which have also been there for around a year, but these may be a separate condition. I've only recently decided to seek the advice of a dermatologist because the rash has a tendency of disappearing (but never completely), then returning rather aggressively several days later. The dermatologist advised that the condition is dermatitis, though what type exactly (e.g. contact dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis etc), I'm not sure.

The rash is often most visible when I wake up in the morning, possibly because my pillowcase isn't always as spotlessly clean as it could be? But it often becomes more visible after a spicy meal, physical exercise, or any sexual activity. I should also point out that I am NOT a heavy drinker by any means; on the contrary, my alcohol intake is limited to a couple of pints of beer per month! However, I often fail to consume the recommended 2 litres of water each day, in case that's a relevant factor.

I have attached some photographs to help with the "diagnosis". The first picture shows what the rash looks like at its best, while the latter ones illustrate the full extent of the rash, at its worst (all taken in the morning). Note that the severity of the rash can worsen within only three or four days, then return to its less visible form several days later. However, it is consistently visible, to a greater or lesser degree, day after day.

Is this something that could be alleviated by making changes to my diet? For example, would it be worth testing for candida, to rule out yeast intolerance, or for Celiac disease, to ensure that the rash isn't being caused by a gluten intolerance, in which case I would cut out bread and pasta from my diet? Contrary to the dermatologist's diagnosis, could it in fact be a gradual onset of rosacea or psoriasis, which might become worse without proper action? Or possibly a reaction to fecal bacteria from demodex mites that might be multiplying on the affected areas? And if indeed this is dermatitis, is it best to use the Betnovate steroid cream I've been prescribed by the dermatologist, despite the risks of thinning the skin and making the veins more prominent (a particular problem for me, given my pale complexion)? Or should I seek a more natural, holistic treatment plan instead?

To anyone who may be able to help, please, I humbly ask for your advice. I'm 27 years old, with no known history of this condition on either side of my family, and feel that I shouldn't need to worry about these problems at my relatively young age. If you could suggest anything regarding the condition itself, or potential treatments, I would be extremely grateful.

Many thanks again.
Attachments
Photo-02991.jpg
Photo-02991.jpg (59.49 KiB) Viewed 2918 times
Photo-02901.jpg
Photo-02901.jpg (59.54 KiB) Viewed 2918 times
Photo-02871.jpg
Photo-02871.jpg (71.81 KiB) Viewed 2918 times
brevicaudate087
UKFM Newbie

Re: dermatitis, rosacea, or something else?

Postby carolad » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:21 pm

carolad
UKFM Member

Re: dermatitis, rosacea, or something else?

Postby denys » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:34 pm

I have moved you into here as it is a more suitable board for your question, have you tried a cream for it such as diprobase as this will help to moisturise the area and make it less flaky and/or itchy. Have you got a follow up appointment with the dermatologist :?: :?: :?: :?:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems