Shingles

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Shingles

Postby Graciebaby » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:36 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone on here has suffered from shingles, but without the rash? (or virtually no rash at all)

I went to the GP's a few weeks ago with horrible nerve pain and the worst itching on my arm. My GP insisted it was shingles and that I had probably had just one or two spots that were almost clearing by the time she saw me. She said it was too late for anti viral meds as you need those within 72 hours of the rash appearing and prescribed an increase in my Pregabalin for the neuropathic sensations.
It definitely isn't an allergy or any kind of skin infection.

I suffered from shingles many years ago and there is no doubt at all that the pain and sensations are exactly the same.
It was hard to tell if there had originally been one or two shingles spots at the top of my arm, as the itching was so bad that I had scratched my arm until it had bled whilst asleep and the skin looked all blotchy and rashy because of the scratching!

The itching is still awful and creams and an increase in Lyrica don't help. I could cheerfully tear the skin off my arm and even a slight breeze against my skin is horribly uncomfortable. The only thing that eases it is ice cold flannels. I even have to get up in the night to apply the cold cloths and have started to keep a supply of wet flannels in the fridge........ooooh it feels like bliss when I first drape them over my arm!

I would be interested to know if anyone had ever suffered from shingles with very little, or no rash, but all the pain and discomfort that shingles usually causes.

G. x
Graciebaby
UKFM Member

Re: Shingles

Postby dotty lotty » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:50 am

Yes I had it a few years ago with a few spots that looked like lips!!!
Hope feel better soon. Sending very very gentle :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:30 pm

Hope you feel better soon :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby difly » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:29 pm

Hello i have experience what you mentioned i get
Shingles without the rash it can be very painful and very
Unpleasant been told there nit a lot i can do for it
Try to rest an maybe dr can guve u anti viral
Everyone treatment is different tske care xx
difly
UKFM Member

Postby Graciebaby » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:37 am

Hi,

Thanks for replies and best wishes.
I've read that it is quite possible to get shingles without the rash, it is considered to be pretty unusual though.
I'm still wanting to tear my skin off with the itching and horrible sensations. I wonder how long it's going to last?

difly, by the time I saw my GP, it was too late for anti virals unfortunately. I am taking an increased dose of Lyrica to try to help with the neuropathic sensations, but it doesn't seem to be relieving it at all.
I will just have to be patient and let it run it's course I suppose :roll:

G. x
Graciebaby
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems