Shoulder blade and rib pain

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Shoulder blade and rib pain

Postby momsy05 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:49 pm

Not been on here for a little while so hello everyone. :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Does anyone get really severe pain in upper back radiating all the way around to ribs and into neck and down arms.I am finding this symptom really frightening when pain goes down my arm....i dont worry when pain is anywhere else but when it hits my left arm i panic and cant breathe and fear it is my heart.

I am overweight(18st) which is not helped by inactivity and meds.And generally a bit of a wreck!!!!! :too-upset:

i have ended up in hospital a couple of times with super fast heart rate...dont know if its a sort of panic attack,but at the time really feel i am on my way out, until it wears off again. :waiting:

I have had ECGs all fine.Just this bloody pain so severe it hurts to breathe.Have pain everywhere else but this new symptom has been with me for a couple of months.

I have also been called back early....next Tuesday in fact as an MRI scan i had done on lumber spine has shown something, i dont know what this is as yet:( :-?
momsy05
UKFM Member

Re: Shoulder blade and rib pain

Postby denys » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:37 pm

Hi and :welcome: back the pain you are describing sounds familiar to that described by other members so hopefully someone will be along soon to help, if this is something new I would recommend going back to your docs to get it checked out

:fingerscrossed: for the results of your MRI next Tuesday
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby dazzleship » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:34 pm

hi

I've recently had a bout of pain that sounds very similar to what you describe. it was very painful down my right side at the back, like between the ribs almost, and up into the shoulder blade and ithurt if I breathed in. I couldnt' lie on that side (or on my back cos it was agony to put pressure on it.

hubby tried massaging the area and said he could feel really tight muscle. he tried 'kneading it out' which sometimes works when I get tight muscles, but unfrotunately it didn't help much in this case.

but after a day or two it went away. so it was perhaps a muscle spasm.

obviously I don't know if you'rs is the same case but it sounds sort of similar.

good luck with your MRI results, hope it goes ok. :hugs:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Gracious » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:03 pm

Momsy, have you ever tried doing any restorative yoga. It helps stretch out the tightening ligaments, tendons and muscles. I get similar pains both right side and left. I am dominate left so my left arm tends to be the most painful. I used to worry alot as it does seem like its mimicing what most people would think as a heart attack...and it leads to stress, anxiousness and the body tightens up more and the pain increases as a result.

Prior to my sypmtoms worsening, in my past I used to do loads of yoga, hatha, ashtanga and my favourite ilyenga yoga. These past few years I haven't been able to do my workouts, but what I have been able to do is restorative yoga, which is heavy based on relaxation and stretching the body with the use of deep breathing and propped posing. Which I found really helpful for the pain you are describing.

The link below is for a 1hr Restorative Yoga Meditation, working with just minimal props. Its very relaxing and you workin 5 minute slots, giving you time to work on opening up the breath and relax into the stretch when breathing out. I could not recommend this enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGLvtWYcuuE

The instructions are clear and only do what you are comfortable doing and do not stretch to the point of pain, you should only feel slight tighness. I love this whole routine as it combines stretching and meditation all in one....I've down this rourine as a bigger lady and smaller so suits all sizes.

I've found this routine to work better than any painkiller or muscle relaxant medication, when it comes to the pain you talked about. It also helps reduce tension, stress and anxiety, that can build up through the worry of the pain.

Have a go, try a few of them and see how you get on. Don't do the whole routine if your not used to it, slowly build up. Pick out the easier ones first and then see how you get on.

Hope this is of some help and that your results for your lumber spine at not too serious.

With loving kindness
Gracious
UKFM Member

Postby momsy05 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:27 pm

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, some very nice comforting words.

I am very interested in what you have written to me Gracious and taking the time to write such a lovely informative response, i will certainly look into this as pain killers, muscle rubs and heat really are of no benefit to me. I took part in a 8 week pain management course run by North Hampshire Hospital back in the summer, and we focused on breathing exercises then.

I will let you know how i get on

Kind Regards Lorraine xxxx
momsy05
UKFM Member

Postby Lisalou » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:52 am

I get a lot of pain under my ribs, when I breath in I get sharp pain. I had pleurisy years ago and it feels similar to the start of that but I know now it isnt.

I just take it as part and parcel of fm.

Thanks for the yoga information, I lool forward to trying it. My musles are do tense, tight and short.

Xx
Lisalou
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems