Dry Mouth - any remedies

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Dry Mouth - any remedies

Postby Helhit » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:04 pm

This is driving me loopy. I constantly have a dry mouth, but not at all thirsty.

I'm guessing its a side effect of the medication, but if anyone has a remedy I'll be glad to try it.

I've just changed my toothpaste to a bicarbonate based one, cos I read that can help.

My lips feel like they are stuck to my teeth!!! Terribly attractive!!!
:lol:
Fibro is like the wind. You can't see it and when it flares up it knocks you off your feet!
Helhit
UKFM Member

Re: Dry Mouth - any remedies

Postby dotty lotty » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:13 pm

I got Biotene gel from GP which is quite good and worth asking about. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:30 pm

Ah yes one of the lovely side effects! I drink like a fish anyway (water!) so it wasn't dehydration that was the problem, although night time when I couldn't drink was worse. I got an artificial saliva spray, it works really well and keeps your mouth feeling hydrated even better than water.

I asked the pharmacist when I bought it to make sure it didn't interact with any of my meds.

Oh another thing was to not talk as much, but I think my partner enjoyed that advice more than I did ;-)
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Helhit » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:27 pm

Dotty i've been and got some biotene thanks. Hopefully it will help. Thanks for the advice.

Zia unfortunately I'm a natural born natterer!!! My top lip seems to be continually stuck to my gums. It's not a look I was hoping for :crazy:
Fibro is like the wind. You can't see it and when it flares up it knocks you off your feet!
Helhit
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:31 pm

It definitely sounds like the medication then! Which one are you on? Naproxen/Gabapentin don't have that effect on me, but Amitriptyline and Nortriptyline made me really bad.

Btw - why can't these meds be called something short and easy to spell?!?!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Helhit » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:44 pm

Ha I know what you mean.

I'm on Gaby, tried Amy, but was like a zombie and it did give me a mouth like a pharaohs flip flop :mrgreen:

I'm also on Coco (co codemal) and citalaphram (was thinking of calling this one Rita!)

I tried the biotene today and it worked for a couple of hours, so looks like it will help. Only thing it cost £7.
Helhit
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:37 pm

Helhit wrote:it did give me a mouth like a pharaohs flip flop :mrgreen:

:shock: I won't ask how you know... :mrgreen:
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Helhit » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:10 am

Hee hee that'd be telling :mrgreen:

I'm pleased to report biotene working a treat.
Helhit
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:22 pm

That's good to hear (the second bit, not the first!). I'm just back from the pharmacy but the next time my lips flare up I am going to check this out. Does it stop you licking your lips, as I find I do that loads?
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Helhit » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:06 am

I didn't think my lips were too bad until today when Iv woken up with a cold sore you could see from the moon!

It was mainly for inside my mouth, but as it has stopped my lips from sticking to my gums, maybe it would work for you too. That being said it's£7 which is a bit steep
Helhit
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:10 pm

It might be worth seeing if there is a generic version of Biotene, all the same ingredients and works in the same way but without the branded price tag.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:47 pm

Thanks Helhit. I wouldn't mind paying £7 if it helps tbh!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:48 pm

Oh and thanks FP, missed your reply!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby debs67 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:51 pm

So is dry mouth " another fibro symptom". I was told it was my thyroid playing up even thou I on meds for it. It seems to be a lot has been put down to my thryoid.
debs67
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Rather than a symptom of FM, it's an often associated condition or problem that comes about due to something like a side effect of a med or due to another condition causing problems alongside FM.

Every once in a while, a dog enters your life and changes everything xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems