Help please with night sweats

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Help please with night sweats

Postby Diane64 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:08 pm

Hi..

Anyone suffer with night sweats and what do you take for them.

I am 50yrs old and going through the menopause, I was prescribed HRT Elleste duet 1mg for, then upped to 2mg, both had no effect on night sweats so came off them, then prescribed Catapres ( Clondine hydrochloride 100mcg).

I have been taken these for nearly 6 weeks now and night sweats are worse than ever..

Any info would be really appreciated as now im thinking it not be due to menopause but yet another fibro thing..
Diane64
UKFM Member

Re: Help please with night sweats

Postby mrselizabeth » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:16 pm

Hello, I have night sweats too, I just put up with it. I don't take anything for it as I thing its all part of our Fibro friend. I have been through the menopause with no problems never had any medication during it as i think I take enough for Fibro.
mrselizabeth
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:07 pm

I have just turned 40 and been told im in the menopause! :shock: I suffer night sweats and at the moment all i do is have a fan going on me all night. I did last night, 1st November and im laying with a fan on me all night long :shock: mind you i also feel im coming down with a chest infection which is sweat on top of sweats :crazy:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Diane64 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:45 pm

Thanks for replies, :-D , I normally have to remove the duvet over and over again, get up open window, stand at back door anything to try and cool down put the minute I go back to bed they start up again and driving me insane with getting only a few disturbed hours sleep.

I also have loads of meds to take for the fibro but not prepared to go cold turkey with this for however long it takes, its bad enough being in pain but being in pain with little sleep makes it even harder, i need SLEEP!! : :scream-1:
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:05 am

When I had night sweats caused by the menopause starting many years ago now I used something which began with an A and ended in soya. Maybe Alpro Soya. It was after reading an article that Japanese women who ate a lot of soya products dint seem to get menopausal sweats. Of course this info could be out of date now as it was about 18 years ago. Anyway they seemed to help reduce the frequency.

The only positive thing about menopausal night sweats is they won't last forever, but not much consolation meantime. Hope you find something which works.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:17 am

My friend used black kohosh tablets and felt they helped. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby GayleRuth1978 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:34 pm

Hi All,
I have started taking sage supplements - 2 tablets twice a day - not sure yet if its working - but i'm willing to try anything!!

xx
GayleRuth1978
UKFM Member

Postby wornoutbloke » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:28 pm

Try wearing damp not wet pyjamas or cover yourself with a damp sheet. My dad worked in the tropics most of his life and things like that can help, you'll constantly have something cool on you all night. Also a fan with a washing up bowl filled with cold water and ice in front of the fan but obviously be very careful with the water and electricity. If you get it right it feels like a cool damp breeze not just hi speed air being directed at you.

I have similar problems with my medications. All year round I have a fan running on full and in the winter my wife is in bed with a hoodie ok, she's supportive but I feel terrible about. The weirdest thing is though I'm always cold during the day no matter what the season. But half an hour after I take my pills I start sweating, my ears go bright red and I feel like I'm on fire.

Hope that helps
wornoutbloke
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:56 am

I had my last period at 40. The sweats were so bad that my clothes, jeans, would be soaked. Water ran down me.

The Dr prescribed .625MG of preparing estrogen and 2.5MG of medroxyprogesterone. Within 10 days they were gone.

8 years later I am getting hot flashes and light cold sweats. The Dr has added 0.2MG of Clonindine twice a day. It works. The only problem is that my blood pressure has dropped to 80/58
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby ichigo.ghost » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:54 am

quick fix for me when i had hormone stopping meds would you believe it was talc powder. I plastered it where i got soaked the most during the night and the best sleep after.made me feel so much for comfy and not waking up with cold damp, seemed to make a big difference.
ichigo.ghost
UKFM Newbie

Postby kernow1 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:15 pm

I had a hysterectomy in my early forties, but was left with my ovaries. Recently I have struggled with hot flashes in the day and cold/hot sweats at night. I am very lucky that my GP is brilliant and we have kept juggling meds and now (although not perfect) are helping to manage them. I take 2x25mg clonidine hydrochloride in the morning and at night, plus 1x 0.3mg premarin in the morning....(the lowest dose of premarin)..finally it is managed. I do still get break through times, but they only last 2 or 3 days, which is massively better than what it was.
If any of you are taking anti depressants, most of the natural methods, black cohosh etc do not fit well together, so best check them first.

Best wishes
Angie
kernow1
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems