piriformis syndrome and fibromyalgia.....

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

piriformis syndrome and fibromyalgia.....

Postby topcatt72 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:50 pm

Hi all.....
I have just been reading up about a condition called piriformis syndrome....and that it could be linked to fibromyalgia???..... I was wondering if anyone has been diagnosed with piriformis syndrome along side their fibro /hypermobility???....... I ask as, along with all my normal hips problems/fibro and hypermobility. it seems as if I have been showing signs of piriformis syndrome for a few years now as i have had.... severe pain in my lower back, my buttocks, sciatic nerve, going into my hips through my legs and into my feet that makes my lower half of body like I've walked/range 10k!!!!.....I can't stand or sit for too long before the pain hits!!!....iv also had alot of difficulty going up and down stairs plus walking (with crutches) I will be going to the doctors to find out bout this condition and the possibility of having it... :-) :-) ........xxx
topcatt72
UKFM Member

Re: piriformis syndrome and fibromyalgia.....

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:00 pm

I've never heard of that but I do have your symptoms x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:54 pm

Yes....it is a pain in the butt, quite literally :P You can release trigger points in your piriformis yourself by sitting on a tennis ball (yes really!) Just google 'piriformis and tennis ball' and there will be lots of video clips and explanations of how to do this. It hurts, but it helps to release the muscle that is causing the pain.
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby topcatt72 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:13 pm

Ok.....will look up bout tennis balls???.... Must admit does sound weird though...lol... :-) :-) :-)
topcatt72
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:57 pm

Haha, I know, it does sound a bit mad!! There are lots of articles but a video clip is probably best. Here is one:http://youtu.be/HWfnAUsYUTI The look on his face shows it is painful! But it is good pain because it helps :) Don't worry if you can't cross over your leg like he does it, just sit on it whatever way you can - you will know when you hit the right spot. Don't put too much pressure on to start with - it should be sore, but not unbearable.

Make sure you do it when there is no one about - if someone sees you rolling on a tennis ball and pulling faces, they will think you've lost the plot ;) x
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Lexi_t » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:43 pm

I have this too, diagnosed by a physio after I had my daughter. Physio or the tennis ball release does help, I've also found Pilates helpful to lengthen the muscles and strengthen some of the others.
Lexi_t
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems