painful wrist

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

painful wrist

Postby sue66 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:11 am

hi does anyone ever get this problem.
over the past week i have started to get what i can only described as restless leg syndrome but in my wrist is so so uncomfortable nothing seems to ease it at all x i do have a gangloin cyst in my wrist but the gp said that shouldnt cause any problems x
sue66
UKFM Member

Re: painful wrist

Postby Queenie_70 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:36 am

Dear Sue66,

I have three ganglian cysts, one on the back of each hand, and one on the inside of my wrist. I had surgery about 15 years ago to get rid of one of the worst as it had interfered with the bones enough to have mis-shapen them, but the sucker came back two years later. I have constant pain from them, and they do interfere with almost everything I try to do that involves grip. The best thing I have found to ease their pain is an ibuprofen rub. I just massage the area, and I don't know if it is the medicine or the massage, but it does seem to do the trick for a while at least. Your GP is wrong, it can cause pain, it can mess up your grip, and they are bl**dy annoying. Recent studies show that they are hereditary, my Aunty has them, so somewhere on my mother's side of the family there is a propensity towards getting them.

RLS is annoying, and it does keep you awake. I have found, and I know this sounds silly, but making sure my bladder is as empty as possible, even if I have just used the toilet, I will go back and "push" any last urine out. This sometimes helps me..I am not sure why. The body is weird though isn't it??

xxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:05 pm

I get very painful wrists, in particular my right, and I have to be careful not to write too much. It means I don't know if I will be able to use sticks if I need them in future.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby dazzleship » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:15 pm

I get achey wrists at times :-?

and sometimes they feel very weak and floppy :roll: then I put wrist supports on (black elastic pull-on things). the ones I bought were too big for me though so I have two pairs and wear two on each wrist at a time 8-)

I also get a sore, achey hand if I write for too long. but I've had that pretty much for as long as I can remember so I don't think it's fibro related. it's not so bad though cos I am ambidextrous so I just swap and write with the other hand for a bit. :mrgreen:

Zia about using ssticks - I don't find that my crutches cause my wrists to be any sorer than they were anyway, if that helps. :hugs:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:24 pm

dazzleship wrote:Zia about using ssticks - I don't find that my crutches cause my wrists to be any sorer than they were anyway, if that helps. :hugs:

Ah yes that's interesting thanks, I just assumed that as gripping a pen/tootbrush/knife hurts, the same would be true for having to grip and hold a stick!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby dazzleship » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:07 am

I think there may be a difference between sticks in and crutches as with a crutch part of the weight-bearing is done by the bit around your forearm (does that make sense?) so you're not gripping overly much with your hand.. but if you go for sticks rather than crutches make sure you get ones with a comfortable hand-grip.

for instance, my elbow crutches have padded hand grips, I couldn't use ones with hard plastic grips! when I first started using them I bought a pair of padded cycling gloves and wore them to help protect my hands until I got used to the crutches. I don't need them now, but they've come in handy for gripping when self-wheeling my wheelchair :-)

I did buy folding walking sticks recently for taking with me when we're out with the wheelchair in case I need short distances out of the wheelchair. the ones I got have gel handgrips and are super-comfy 8-)

oh and as for pens and stuff - I can't use 'normal sized' pens eg biros, they are too thin for me to grip. I always buy more chunky pens as I get a better grip with them. that might be something you could think about? :-) they don't have to be uber-chunky, but just ones that are slightly wider than your normal biro. (good ones for me are the ones you get for 4 for £1 in Tiger, or the patterned pens in WH Smith that they sell alongside similarly-pattered notebooks etc). also cos they have patterns or animals on I prefer them anyway :-D
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems