Cushing's - high blood cortisol - adrenal hyperfunction

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Cushing's - high blood cortisol - adrenal hyperfunction

Postby NiceConversations » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:30 am

After a recent blood test, the report mentioned that I am "almost cushingoid".

Does anyone have experience with high blood cortisol levels, Cushing's, also Hyperadrenocorticism/Hyperadrenalism or Adrenocortical Hyperfunction?

I have asked my GP for further tests and to be referred to an Endicrinologist, just to make sure that I don't have to add yet another condition to the long list. When reading up on Cushing's, a lot of the symptoms are cross-overs with my fibro symptoms, so I am wondering!
NiceConversations
UKFM Member

Re: Cushing's - high blood cortisol - adrenal hyperfunction

Postby rucc2 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:30 pm

Cortisol is a steroid hormone, more specifically a glucocorticoid, which is produced by the zona fasciculata of the adrenal cortex.[1] It is released in response to stress and a low level of blood glucose.

Its functions are to increase blood sugar through gluconeogenesis, to suppress the immune system, and to aid the metabolism of fat, protein, and carbohydrate.[2] It also decreases bone formation.[3]

Cortisol can weaken the activity of the immune system. Cortisol prevents proliferation of T-cells by rendering the interleukin-2 producer T-cells unresponsive to interleukin-1 (IL-1), and unable to produce the T-cell growth factor (IL-2).[29] Cortisol also has a negative-feedback effect on interleukin-1.[30]

Cortisol and the stress response have known deleterious effects on the immune system. High levels of perceived stress and increases in cortisol have been found to lengthen wound healing time in healthy, male adults. Those who had the lowest levels of cortisol the day following a 4 mm punch biopsy had the fastest healing time.[37] In dental students, wounds from punch biopsies took an average of 40% longer to heal when performed three days before an examination as opposed to biopsies performed on the same students during summer vacation

Cortisol counteracts insulin, contributes to hyperglycemia-causing hepatic gluconeogenesis[41] and inhibits the peripheral utilization of glucose (insulin resistance)[41] by decreasing the translocation of glucose transporters (especially GLUT4) to the cell membrane.[42][43] However, cortisol increases glycogen synthesis (glycogenesis) in the liver.[44] The permissive effect of cortisol on insulin action in liver glycogenesis is observed in hepatocyte culture in the laboratory, although the mechanism for this is unknown

Cortisol raises the free amino acids in the serum. It does this by inhibiting collagen formation, decreasing amino acid uptake by muscle, and inhibiting protein synthesis.[45] Cortisol (as opticortinol) may inversely inhibit IgA precursor cells in the intestines of calves.[46] Cortisol also inhibits IgA in serum, as it does IgM; however, it is not shown to inhibit Immunoglobulin E

Cortisol stimulates many copper enzymes (often to 50% of their total potential), probably to increase copper availability for immune purposes.[54]:337 This includes lysyl oxidase, an enzyme that cross-links collagen and elastin.[54]:334 Especially valuable for immune response is cortisol's stimulation of the superoxide dismutase,[55] since this copper enzyme is almost certainly used by the body to permit superoxides to poison bacteria.

Hope this helps with info, it does seem part of the imbalance of chemicals within the body due to your fibro symptoms.
rucc2
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems