gall bladders remove

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

gall bladders remove

Postby dolphintara » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:37 am

hi everyone
I have been on so many different tablets till I can get the pain under control , well I try ,

I have just been told I have gall stones , after 4 months in pain and being sick , I was in hospital fo a week , after having loads of test on me , the pain was so bad I was so sick ,could not take pain tablets so I had fibro pain ,

I thought at 1 point I was dying , I know have to have my gall bladder removed , has any one alse had there gall bladder removed and if so any thing I need to be aware of afer wards
thank you
dolphintara
UKFM Member

Re: gall bladders remove

Postby whoami » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:30 am

Hi! First of all I am sorry to hear you are having so much .

About your gallbladder. The surgery is a very common surgery and quite simple as far as surgeries go. Sometimes it is done as day surgery. You can have it done either by scope, with tiny incisions or a full scar.

I have had many surgeries over the years and gallbladder removal was one of them. I had the full incision, only because It was emergency removal. Recovery time for me was as expected. 6 weeks before lifting. The pain afterwards was normal for surgery. A bit of discomfort. The surgery did not send me in a flair.

Make sure your medicalnstaff all know you have fibro. They are told of all meds including over the counter. The Dr's will adjust meds given to partner with your fibro.

I am sure all will go well. Keep.us posted as to when it is and how you got along.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby becbob » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:56 pm

I empathise what you are going through. Having gallstones is hell. I had mine removed before I had Fibro. The operation itself was fine for me. I had several small scars and I recovered very quickly after but I was in lots of pain in my shoulders and neck. That's because they blow your tummy up with air, the air tries to escape up through you neck. It was agony but it didn't last more than a day or so. You should start to feel hugely better with in a few days. I can't comment on what you fibro will be like but I suspect it will play up more in the weeks following surgery. I have read that it takes longer for people with Fibro to recover.
I hope you get it sorted soon and I wish you a speedy recovery.
Never judge on looks alone. Real beauty comes from with in.
becbob
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:34 pm

Hi,

Theres a few recent topics about Gallstones as myself and a few members had there gallbladder removed just a few months ago. You will see my journey on that.

Also a topic on fibromyalgia and surgery if you use the search bar above for additional information.

I was petrified of surgery, suffered well like everyone with the gallstones and its pain and sickness plus had one trapped at some point, lost 4 stone as could barely eat etc...

I had keyhole. It went extremely well :-D no complications, not post op problems, didnt even have a post op appointment! :shock: my cuts heeled up very well and i was fully recovered within 5 weeks :-D

I think the other 2 ladies spent more time recovering and may have had some slight complications but i think there doing well now.

I was able to eat straight away what ever i wanted and have not had any problems since

The first week you feel very bruised and fatigued. I slept for the week but then the pain meds took me off to fairy land :sleep: :sleep: the worst part for me was having to sleep sitting up /laying on my back for a few weeks as i could not turn on either side. This wasnt a huge problem tho just an annoying one.

Everyone is different tho with different time limits of recovery. The average is between 4-6 weeks but with fibro maybe give yourself a few extra on top.

I was given diazapam on top to help the stiffness as i was in bed for 2 weeks and i know that can seize the muscles up so this helped. I then listened to my body and each day after a few weeks took little steps and when i felt bruised i layed down. Each day i could move about more but always rested.

:goodluck2:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby dolphintara » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:38 pm

hi

thank you guys glad to hear not on my own , im scared as been so ill with being sick the pain is worst than birth , and all ready get pain in my shoulders and arms , the doctor said that's normal with gall stones , im not having key hole they are cutting me , so I know its going to be longer , but its going to be hard as I am in again 11 th December for another operation , camera down throat to see why I cant eat certain foods ,
I will keep people up dated , just got really scared when happened 2 weeks ago thought I was having a heart attack ,
dolphintara
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:34 am

Hopefully after your survey you will have less pain. Gallstones can produce pain that is unimaginable. I know what you mean about thinking it is a heart attack. Pain at times can feel like it is going right through your abdomen to your back and down the arms.

Gallstones can also prevent you from eating certain foods without experiencing symptoms. Alcohol can cause excruciating pain.
Have you been vomiting at all? Was it blood? .

I would rather have a full incision for surgeries, in fact I insist. They have to inflate you, sorry can't think of any other way to describe it. When they do this I have had far more discomfort from it.

Try not to be concerned about the scope. I have had this many times and it is very straightforward. You may not even know afterwards that anything was done. On occasion I have had a sore throat for a few days. Not enough that I had to take anything....

It is understandable that you are worried, even a little scared. I always look at the surgery this way....because of the anesthetic, I will not be in any pain for a while, LOL!
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:29 pm

dolphintara wrote: im scared as been so ill with being sick the pain is worst than birth

Thats what i told everyone! i feel its worse then giving birth also! and apparently giving birth is supposed to be the worst pain? anyways i gave birth to my second without pain relief as didnt have time for anything. Got given the gas and air but used the pipe to bite on when pushing :lol:

Spent 36hours in labour with my first :shock: yet gallstones and the Salmonella poisoning for me was alot worse! maybe because i knew with giving birth there was joy at the end of it? :?:

I would have thought that maybe they can do the checking of the food pipe just before the gallbladder op? saves you having to have 2 ops in such a short space?

Recovery will be longer with the cut, i hope it all goes well! :hugs:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby dolphintara » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:22 pm

hi guys
thank you , total agree with you lisa , about doing both operations at once , it would make sense ,
as bang on xmas and don't want to be ill for xmas , and ruin my kids xmas ,
dolphintara
UKFM Member

Re update : gall bladders remove

Postby dolphintara » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:50 pm

update

hi guys
had my mri scan got a letter today saying I have a pre op tomorrow , nice talk about short notice ,

I don't know about you this cold weather is doing me no good , plus got a cough aswell had to use my inhalers first time in 2 yrs ,
dolphintara
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems