Flu Jab??? Yay or Nay??

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Flu Jab??? Yay or Nay??

Postby TNK* » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but just wanted to ask about if anyone has had the flu jab??

Probably a bit of locking the door after the horse has bolted, and I actualy had mine yesterday....but after seeing the mess it has made of my arm its just made me wonder if ive done the right thing, especially as ive now heard about so many people getting ill (only for a day or so and no where near as bad as 2 weeks of the flu, but with FM thrown into the mix who knows?)

Anyway, i didnt feel the jab at all, but now ive got a bruise about the size of 2 50ps side by side ad its burning hot, no where else, but just the bruise! oh and it pretty hard and raised...(or er mrs)
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Re: Flu Jab??? Yay or Nay??

Postby dotty lotty » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:27 pm

My nurse told me the jabs were more painful this year. My arm was sore for a few days.

Maybe they touched a little blood vessel on the way out hence the bruise.

[chocolate] is the cure all :yikes: :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby Gracious » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:47 am

TNK. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I had the flu jab last year and was okay after a few days no brusing, just silight aching. The flu jab this year was different, in that it was sore going in this time and I come up with a big bruise about 4ins in diameter, took about two weeks to go away and my face flushed up for a few weeks. But it settled down and its all fine, just think the cocktail this year was not as agreeable to me as last years was, but would rather be protected from having the flu.

My mother and father get the jab too. Dad was neither up nor down, but mum noticed it was different from last year too, but after two weeks everything settled down for her as well.

A wee tip for anyone getting the flu jab is to put ice/cold pack on the area of the injection afterwards, helps reduce any soreness. I also do this with my Occiptal Nerve Block Injections, helps reduce pain, bruising and inflammation.

With loving kindness
Gracious
UKFM Member

Postby lolabolla » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:41 pm

I've always been fine after a flu jab.

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby TNK* » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:05 am

I feel like I'm dying here!!

I must be one of the small% that has a reaction....The top of my arm is red and swollen it's now about the size of a saucer with a whacking great bruise to complement the redness!
I can barely move my arm without it hurting!

I'm going to check at the docs on Monday what type they used so I can avoid it in the future!

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:48 am

TNK I would definitely go back to your GP, that doesn't sound right at all. :-| hopefully it gets better soon. :hugs:

for what it's worth I've never had a flu jab and never intend to, I don't agree with them quite frankly and wouldn't trust what was in them. and that's speaking as someone who theoretically should have one seeing as I have asthma. as far as I understand it they only protect against last years strains anyway, there are always other strains of flu that one can get.

I'm honestly not trying to cause a ruckus here - it's up to each individual whether they have it or not and I'm certainly not going to tell anyone what they should do - but I have to say I'm surprised that people on this thread seem to be taking it in their stride that something injected into them is causing such bad reactions - that doesn't put you off? you don't worry what's in it that's doing that to you? :shock: :-?

but as I said, it's only my opinion of course, but you did ask yay or nay. I seem to be the only nay so far :-D
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby wornoutbloke » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:05 am

I get offered one every year because I have asthma but I've never got one, my wife's a nurse and always lectures me saying I should have it every year but once when I went for my asthma check up the nurse asked if I had it and I said I'll probably clash with you because I don't put a lot of faith in them. She said she was glad I didn't have it, the chances of getting injected with the same strain of flu as the one you'd pick up if you caught it are so slim it's not worth it.
wornoutbloke
UKFM Member

Postby TNK* » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:38 pm

Thankyou for your replies,

well i doubt i will be getting it again next yr, i didnt bother going back to the docs as i doubt there would have been anything they could have done tbh!
But its nearly 2 weeks ago now and the bruise is just about fading, it is still pretty visable but the worst thing is the weakness in my arm or if i try to move it in an odd position (ie round my back to scratch an itch, it really cant be done without it hurting)

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems