Sedation not working?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Sedation not working?

Postby JFCH91 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:57 am

Just wondering if anyone knows anything on this. Has anyone been sedated before and it not worked, and could it be linked to fibro?

I was in hospital yesterday for an endoscopy and a colonoscopy. They put a cannula in my arm and put the sedation in and asked if I felt sleepy and comfortable, I said no and that my arm hurt. They then put a cannula in my hand and put more sedation in and asked the same. Nope, still didn't work. So in the end they just did it. My breathing slowed and I had to be given oxygen so must have done something, but didn't have the desired effect and I didn't feel relaxed and sleepy
JFCH91
UKFM Newbie

Re: Sedation not working?

Postby denys » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:19 am

Never heard of this being linked to fibro before :?: :?: :?:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby whoami » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:30 pm

I have had many surgeries and aesthetics and never had any problems being sedated.

The only thing was that Because of the high level of pain medication they had to adjust and add more than normal
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby dazzleship » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:10 pm

I have had two instances of anasthetic not working (basically both times that I've had anasthetic :roll: )

the first one was many years ago way before I got fibro. it was when I was having my wisdom teeth out and was given a general anasthetic. but, throughout the whole thing I could feel them pulling at my teeth (although thankfully it didn't hurt). but it definitely didn't sedate me as much as it should.

the second one was just over one year ago (after I got fibro). I had a local anasthetic (that word does not get any easier to type by the way :lol:) on my arm to remove an annoying lumpy spot thing (the name of which escapes me now). anyway, again I could feel things during the operation that I wasn't supposed to be feeling.

but I dont' think it's related to fibro. I have hypermobile joints and strongly suspect I have hypermobility syndrome (but am waiting for that actual diagnosis) and I know that poor reaction to anasthetic is a symptom of hypermobility.

tl;dr - I don't think it's a fibro thing :mrgreen:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:40 pm

JFCH91 the fact that your arm hurt could mean the sedation went into the tissues and not the vein therefore no instant sleepiness as it will be absorbed slowly into the system. Hope the procedures not too uncomfortable. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby Gracious » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:55 pm

Hi JFCH91,

My breathing slowed and I had to be given oxygen

Same thing happened to myself when getting colonoscopy. No sedation achieved, just instant drop in blood pressure, overheating, feeling sick and went into a faint. They had to bring me round before doing the test. Even they said it was a reaction to the drug given, goodness knows what they gave me. I did not feel tired or relaxed, just felt unwell throughout the test.

I had been kept waiting hours, so I assumed it was dehydration and how my body choose to react to the medication. We're all different, just as is our fibro. I never linked it to fibro, nor would I. Just think some drugs work for some and not for others and how we feel on the day.

With loving kindness
Gracious
UKFM Member

Postby JFCH91 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:49 pm

It has since been pointed out to me as dazzleship mentioned as well about hypermobility affecting it, and I do have hypermobility syndrome. So looks like it's more like hms than fibro. The endoscopy was fine, the colonoscopy was excruciatingly painful though. It must have done something to my body with my breathing changing, and my pupils were really dilated after. But it definitely didn't relax me or make the procedure more tolerable. Even hours later I felt nothing.

The cannula in my arm killed, and I could feel the needle moving about and I had what looked like three blood blisters from where the doctor had been pushing it about and a big bruise. Both sites of the cannulas look fine now, but my arm still kills.
JFCH91
UKFM Newbie

Postby lolabolla » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:41 pm

During my recent colonoscopy I chose to use gas and air :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: wish I'd used it when in labour with my boys :-D

Seriously though, local anaesthetic has always been a problem during procedures, the most recent being a carpel tunnel release that I endured in August, I felt really bad pain throughout the procedure, the surgeon just kept apologising when several top-ups didn't work and he continued with the op.

I also have Hypermobility syndrome.

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby tonydin » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:35 pm

thats interesting same for me at a colonostomy exam , hows the sedation ? whatsedation? the sedation iv just given you? cant notice anty thing ? ok ill give you some more ? still dont fel anythong /? god god you should be asleep with that much we cant give you any more?/ weel i dont feel any differant so you beter get on with it ? which they did whike i watched it on the tv moniter

so yes i was just like you
regards
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby JFCH91 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:11 pm

Yeah, definitely not one of the nicest of things to have endured. They covered the tv when I started shouting and screaming.
Yet on the report wrote "mild pain, on more than two occasions but adequately tolerated". I was shouting out in pain! :-|
JFCH91
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:45 am

JFCH91 wrote:Just wondering if anyone knows anything on this. Has anyone been sedated before and it not worked, and could it be linked to fibro?

I was in hospital yesterday for an endoscopy and a colonoscopy. They put a cannula in my arm and put the sedation in and asked if I felt sleepy and comfortable, I said no and that my arm hurt. They then put a cannula in my hand and put more sedation in and asked the same. Nope, still didn't work. So in the end they just did it. My breathing slowed and I had to be given oxygen so must have done something, but didn't have the desired effect and I didn't feel relaxed and sleepy

Funnily enough this happened to me late last year! I went for an endoscopy. As they put the sedation in the nurse said just let it wash over you. I couldn't speak because they put something inbetween my teeth to feed the pipe through, but I thought, I cant feel anything! As they started the endoscopy procedure I started choking and gagging and felt really panicked. They had to stop it. I didn't feel any different. I don't think its a fibro thing though, but maybe just one of those things, I've had 3 c sections with sedation and they all worked x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:45 am

Ps My blood pressure was low that morning, so they may have given me less sedation as sedation lowers it further.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Mini » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:16 pm

Theresa34 wrote:
JFCH91 wrote:Just wondering if anyone knows anything on this. Has anyone been sedated before and it not worked, and could it be linked to fibro?

Funnily enough this happened to me late last year! I went for an endoscopy. As they put the sedation in the nurse said just let it wash over you. I couldn't speak because they put something inbetween my teeth to feed the pipe through, but I thought, I cant feel anything! As they started the endoscopy procedure I started choking and gagging and felt really panicked. They had to stop it. I didn't feel any different. I don't think its a fibro thing though, but maybe just one of those things, I've had 3 c sections with sedation and they all worked x

This sounds like a mirror image of what happened to me, I felt traumatised after it and felt really upset, everyone else tells me they don't remember it when they had it done but mine was as if I had no sedation at all.

It's more worrying lately as I went to the dentist had three lots of injections but they still couldn't numb me enough, I could still feel the area they were trying to numb. I've now been referred for sedation to have the procedure carried out but am worrying that won't do anything :-/
Mini
UKFM Member

Postby Lizzyear » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:01 am

Hi,
This sedation didn't work on me either. I had the top and tail oscopies done twice. The first one was good, don't remember a lot about it. The second one I had about a year and a half later. Felt most of it, not pleasant as the doc doing it got someone else to 'have a go' as they were trying to get the tube from the large intestine, to the neck joining of the little intestine........ Horrendous. I said to the doc, my god can't I have something more? He said I had had the max of pain killer / sedation I could!
Shan't be rushing back to get that done again quickly!!!
Lizzyear
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems