Trigger point in fingertip?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Trigger point in fingertip?

Postby shorn_the_sheep » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:14 pm

Hi there, I'm really hoping someone has experience of this issue, as I'm at my wits end.

I've had fibromyalgia for about 3 years now but was only officially diagnosed 6 months ago. So far treatment has been fairly unsuccessful, I'm currently on nortriptyline 50mg and dihydracodeine but am struggling to get any relief from the pain.

Right now my biggest problem is a pain I am experiencing in my right hand. It started during the winter a couple of years ago. Initially this pain occurred only in my middle finger, just to the middle right of the fingertip. It felt like a needle being driven into my finger, a very sharp stabbing pain. It only happened when my hand got cold and was relieved fairly quickly by warmth. When winter was over it stopped, but then came back last winter. At the time, the Dr diagnosed raynauds and said nothing could be done other than keeping my hand warm.

However, since this summer I am now experiencing this pain even if my hand is warm, it will occur if I bump my finger, even just a little. It is intermittent and rather than just being in my fingertip the pain now travels down my middle finger and into the fingers either side, and at it's worst will also cause a sharp pain in my wrist. It's still a very sharp stabbing pain and painful enough that it paralyses me and all I can do is cry. There is no way of stopping it other than to wait it out.

I have also noticed that there is a very painful pressure point in the middle finger, right where the initial pain used to start, it feels like it is halfway between the skin of my fingertip and my nail, though you can't feel anything under the skin and there's no lump or any discolouration. Putting pressure on this point can range from uncomfortable, if my finger is warm, to agonising if my finger is cold.

I have gone through this with my Dr who said it can't be raynauds but admitted he has no idea what it might be. His suggestion was try putting some ibuprofen gel on it, which does nothing. When I told him this he said he was out of ideas and that I would just have to tolerate it. Given that it renders me helpless several times a day, and wakes me up multiple times in the night, that really isn't an option!

Has anyone else experienced something similar to this and found a resolution? it's making me so miserable at the moment, the pain occurs dozens of times a day and I'm constantly on edge waiting for it to happen again.

Thanks for your help.

Michelle
shorn_the_sheep
UKFM Newbie

Re: Trigger point in fingertip?

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:52 pm

I very much doubt there is a trigger point on your finger but there can be trigger points on the shoulders / Neck & front chest wall that when pressed can radiate to your fingers so it maybe that your actual problem may lie in those areas.

Has the doctor ruled out Carpel Tunnel?
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby shorn_the_sheep » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:01 pm

Thank you for your reply. In honesty as soon as I said it didn't just happen when I was cold the Dr just dismissed it as 'one of those things'. He didn't mention any other options at all, just said you get funny pains with fibromyalgia and that was an end to it.

I've actually switched Dr as my current one is so disinterested, and will be seeing the new Dr on Wednesday, so I'll go through it again and see if I get any help from the new Dr. This will be the fourth one I've seen at the surgery though, they don't seem at all clued up when it comes to fibro, I even had one tell me there were no alternatives to medication and that it's just something you have to put up with!
shorn_the_sheep
UKFM Newbie

Postby zappa20 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:24 am

The only thing I can think of is that you've had and have still got , some tiny slither of metal, glass or wood sitting deep under the skin. It's quite easily done . And the level of pain felt is due to the way Fibro seems to magnify pain signals, as our hands have more nerve endings in them.

Not sure how you would draw it out, if that was the problem. Your GP or nurse at the surgery could maybe advise.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems