Heartburn

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Heartburn

Postby zappa20 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:11 am

Prior to having my gallbladder removed I'd never experienced indigestion never mind heartburn or gastric reflux.

Over the past few months it had been a frequent problem, despite trying Omeprazole and also using Gaviscon. One day in desperation I tried sucking a boiled sweet, in an effort to produce more saliva which neutralises the acid. And it worked a treat. Takes 2 at a time , and I've been using a variety of them including Ricola ones as they last quite a long time at the first warning sign I get at reflux incident about to start. Which I've realised is an ache or agitating discomfort in my shoulders. Why this is I've no idea, but it's the only time it happens.

Has also made me wonder if those taking Amitrytiline and other medications for Fibro who suffer from reflux might benefit from boiled sweets, as those tablets can give dry mouth ie reduced saliva production as a side effect. Just a though and would be interesting to hear if it works for anyone else.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Re: Heartburn

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:50 pm

I take Amitriptyline. I sometimes get heartburn but not often and no more than pre meds. I have been using those love hearts sweets or the little round ones like them since pregnancy years ago for heartburn. They work great :-D
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Lizzyear » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:08 am

Hi,
I get terrible acid reflux. I take the tablet one up from Omazrapole, begins with P and ends zone - sorry fibro fog-
I find I can't eat after 8pm otherwise I can't control the acid reflux/heart burn. I end up taking gaviscon advance before bed, that combination really helps!
I never used to have it, before taking medication for fibro, it's a really annoying condition and very painful. I never knew what people meant until I suffered with it.
I don't think my stomach likes all the tablets! But between a rock and a hard place :(
Hope everyone is ok and not suffering tonight.
Lizzyear
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:59 am

I used to love those love heart sweets, but type 1 diabetic so not recommended. I didn't know they still sold them, so might be tempted to try one here and there. I tried the boiled sweets after reading that chewing gum prior to eating could assist with acid reflux .
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:12 am

If acid reflux is an issue at night, sleeping at a slight angle can help, because it is harder for it to travel uphill as it were. I slept propped upright, I mean at a 90 degree angle for years because I didn't know I had GERD. I had a bottle of peptobismal a horrible American pink goo you drink for heartburn, next to the bed and just drank it out of the bottle...

My worst attacks were after Miranda died, but the past few years it has settled down. I have used the boiled sweets trick, and you're right, it does work well. I have drank gallons of milk also, as that coats the stomach, it helps if you can drink it before a meal so the irritant does not touch the lining.

There are lists available of foods to avoid if you suffer from this and tomato paste, like on pizza is a big one, but a food dairy can help. After just a few weeks you will be able to see a pattern between what you have eaten and bad attacks.

Gentle hugsxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:03 pm

zappa20 wrote:I used to love those love heart sweets, but type 1 diabetic so not recommended. I didn't know they still sold them, so might be tempted to try one here and there. I tried the boiled sweets after reading that chewing gum prior to eating could assist with acid reflux .

They definately sell them here in the uk :-D
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems