Suddenly need two fillings!

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Suddenly need two fillings!

Postby Zia2014 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:56 pm

Hmm. I have been going to the same dentist my entire life, and apart from needing braces and having some teeth removed I've never ever had a problem with my teeth. My mum moved this year and the dentist was in her home town, so I needed to find a new one. Years ago I looked for a new one and saw one, who insisted my filling had gone rotten and would need pulling. I have never had a filling and it turned out to be the stuff they used for my brace had fallen into a gap between my teeth and no one had noticed. So I nearly had a fine tooth pulled cos the dentist was stupid :yikes:

Due to fibro, this year I haven't been able to organise getting a new dentist until recently, and saw one who said I had a small cavity in one tooth and might need work. I didn't believe him and booked into another practice, my appointment got cancelled so I only got seen yesterday. My last appointment was in Feb 2013 and I will admit I've had trouble brushing cos my hand is often in pain. I have invested in mouthwash, special floss and interdental brushes, because I noticed my gum getting red, ie. the start of gingivitis/gum disease.

So seeing the dentist yesterday I was convinced the other one was wrong and I wouldn't need work. He said two teeth needed small fillings and another two were 'on the verge' (whatever that means). I got dreadfully upset because I pride myself on not eating sweets etc and taking care of my teeth. Is this fibro related? Is it my fault because I didn't get a check up sooner? Is this fibro's fault again?!

So yeah, I was pretty upset. He laughed at me and I've asked to see another dentist for a second opinion - I don't want to be treated by someone who laughs at me.

But really, how can my teeth get so bad when they have always been fine?! I'm worried that they are saying it needs work to get money out of me, and after my last experience I'm really wary. At the same time if I need fillings I'll have them, but I am so shocked that my teeth can have changed that much.

Wow sorry for the long post, I meant to keep it shocked, I just really want some opinions on this because both me and my mum are really surprised.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Re: Suddenly need two fillings!

Postby Queenie_70 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:35 am

Hi Zia2014,

I too have always prided myself on my teeth, my mother was a hygienist so taught me it is not how long you brush, but how you brush. For me, because my grip and hands are not great, Santa brought me an electric toothbrush one year, and it has been a God send. My gum pockets have gone from 3's and 4's down to 1's and 0's, so massive improvement.

Cavities though, can occur just due to age, if you have eaten something hard and it has damaged the enamel, if you eat fruit and drink fruit juices the natural sugars can cause cavities...the list goes on and on.

I am wondering where the cavities are? ...I have a little enamel erosion on the inside of my bottom front teeth and and the back on my molars. This coincides with my saliva glands, so I make sure that I brush extra carefully in those areas as that is a weak spot.
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Re: Suddenly need two fillings!

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:07 pm

Queenie_70 wrote:Hi Zia2014,

I too have always prided myself on my teeth, my mother was a hygienist so taught me it is not how long you brush, but how you brush. For me, because my grip and hands are not great, Santa brought me an electric toothbrush one year, and it has been a God send. My gum pockets have gone from 3's and 4's down to 1's and 0's, so massive improvement.

Cavities though, can occur just due to age, if you have eaten something hard and it has damaged the enamel, if you eat fruit and drink fruit juices the natural sugars can cause cavities...the list goes on and on.

I am wondering where the cavities are? ...I have a little enamel erosion on the inside of my bottom front teeth and and the back on my molars. This coincides with my saliva glands, so I make sure that I brush extra carefully in those areas as that is a weak spot.

Thanks Queenie. I can't use an electric toothbrush because the vibrations hurt my hand/arm :roll:

Hmm I do eat a lot of fruit, don't drink juice though. I'm not doing anything different to the last 10/15/20 years though, so I'm a bit surprised it can just have come on so suddenly?

The cavities are on the further round teeth but one on the top, if that makes sense - the wide ones, and in the bit furthest from the gum. I don't brush that part as much, well I do now but I wasn't, so maybe that's not helped?

He said two were 'on the verge' but I don't know what that means and whether I'll be able to stop it after all.

I've got myself an appointment in about a month's time for a second opinion at the same practice, because I want to be sure. Once you get them there's no going back. I also didn't like him laughing at me :(
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems