Bursitis

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Bursitis

Postby madchickenlady » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:20 am

I had a pain management appointment on the 22 of December, the consultant I saw told me that as far as the fibro goes I am on all the mess they can give me so there is not a lot more they can do but he has referred me back to the pain rehab team for advice so that's something

I have also been having a lot of pain around my left hip and groin, the outer edge of my hip and thigh is painful to touch, he has diagnosed me with Bursitis of the hip and has booked me in for a steroid and local anasthetic injection

Does anyone else here have this problem and if so have you had one of these injections, he told me it might not work but it was worth a try, have you found anything else that helps apart from resting the leg,I can rest it for short periods but still have to go to work where I am on my feet for a considerable amount of time

I'm hoping and praying that it works because it will help me to stay at work
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Re: Bursitis

Postby rutti » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:01 pm

Hi, I has the same but in my shoulder, I had the injection last week after one day all the pain had gone, just had to rest it for one day. Hope it works for yo.
rutti
UKFM Newbie

Postby Queenie_70 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:45 pm

Hi madchickenlady,

I had a total dislocation of my hip years ago...moving furniture that was too heavy...anyway, I was told I would need a new hip in no more than 10 years, that has not happened because when I moved back to England, the notes did not follow me even though I have sent numerous requests and cheques to cover costs. Point being, I have bursitis in both hips as the one that did not get injured, slowly wore away due to relying on it because of the injured one. I only take ibuprofen for the inflammation, but the pain, added to fibro, makes me cry it is so bad. I will go back and talk to my GP regarding this matter, but my focus right now is my fibro pain and controlling that. I figure, take it one problem at a time otherwise I will get overwhelmed.

Good luck..
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby Graygirl » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:49 pm

I have Trochanteric Bursitis, which sounds as if it's in the same place as yours. I have had two steroid injections, and they really helped. I'm suffering through a bad flare-up at the moment, because I did too much walking one day, so I have reading up about what might help. Sadly I can't take Ibuprofen, but the NHS website suggested an ice pack - such as a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a towel - applied for 15-20 minutes, every few hours. Good luck - I hope you can get your injection done soon. x
Graygirl
UKFM Member

Postby madchickenlady » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:31 pm

Graygirl wrote:I have Trochanteric Bursitis, which sounds as if it's in the same place as yours. I have had two steroid injections, and they really helped. I'm suffering through a bad flare-up at the moment, because I did too much walking one day, so I have reading up about what might help. Sadly I can't take Ibuprofen, but the NHS website suggested an ice pack - such as a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a towel - applied for 15-20 minutes, every few hours. Good luck - I hope you can get your injection done soon. x

Hi, yes it's Trocanteric Bursitis that he said I have, I couldn't remember the name :roll: I am glad to hear your injections worked so hopefully they will work on me, I take Naproxen which is similar to ibuprofen but gentler on the stomach, I did read about an ice pack being helpful so will try that out, I am in a lot of pain toady but it's more from the fibro and it's everywhere today, I wish I could put my finger on what triggers it off, I have just had several good weeks so maybe I have just overdone it, when I feel good i tend to forget about pacing myself and get carried away doing things

I hope your flare up calms down soon xx
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Postby madchickenlady » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:35 pm

rutti wrote:Hi, I has the same but in my shoulder, I had the injection last week after one day all the pain had gone, just had to rest it for one day. Hope it works for yo.

Hi thanks for your reply I am glad the injection worked for you, I feel a bit more optimistic now that two people have told me it worked, luckily the appointment they have sent me is in the middle of a fortnight off so at least I don't have to go to work, however it is five days before my daughters wedding and I was worried that it would make the pain worse on the day but hopefully I will be ok by then :-D
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Postby teresa67 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:43 pm

Hi I have a busitis in my replaced hip and I have had injection in it guided by ultra sound and also by X-ray too they sting a little but do help the problem is you can only hav 3 in a life time x and mr Johnson believes should maybe hold off with them for as long as I can xx I also have one on my other hip but it's not as painful as the replaced hip x I hope it helps you feel more comfortable xx
teresa67
UKFM Member

Postby Amberk » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:49 pm

Hi, I have burstitis in both my hips, it's never gone away but I have regular injections in both and they can work for a while at a time.
How long they work for depends on how bad it is and also the person.
I would definitely try it though

Good luck xo
Amberk
UKFM Member

Postby Kazchap » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:21 pm

I have the burning and pain in my right hip it's unbearable I had the cortisone injection and they did nothing for me I am on full meds including oramorph but nothing takes the pain away :(
Kazchap
UKFM Newbie

Postby Fibrad » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:22 pm

Hi - I, like you, have bursitis in my left hip with pain in left thigh, buttock and groin. I have found acupuncture very effective. Good luck.
Fibrad
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:58 pm

I dont have that problem but I have had a steroid injection in my lower back/bottom twice due to lower back pain but it didn't help at all. Hope it works for the bursitis pain x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby madchickenlady » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:42 am

Thanks for the replies everyone, I hope the injection works because I cant carry on like this forever :(
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:37 am

I have bursitis in my left hip for many years (long before fibro diagnosis) - since about 2009 if memory serves correctly. I think it's the trocanteric bursitis that someone else mentioned - it's on the outside of my hip/leg.

I've never been offered any injections for it though :-? it's a horrible pain so I sympathise. I get very worried whenever I'm in a supermarket cos I dread a trolley hitting me right on the sore bit :shock:

good luck with your injection I hope it helps.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Genevieve489 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:23 pm

I sympathise. I have had bursitis in both hips for a year now, the right is worse than the left. I've had two steroid injections into the right side, but, unfortunately, they didn't work for me. I was also referred to a physiotherapist and am doing daily stretching exercises - I see her again next week. This may have helped a little, but there has been no great improvement. I do hope that your injections work for you and you get some relief.
Genevieve489
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems