Constant Back Pain

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Constant Back Pain

Postby sophie2008 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:11 pm

Hi I was just wondering if anyone suffers from constant back pain
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed from where initially posted, retitled and moved to a more suitable board.
sophie2008
UKFM Newbie

Re: Constant Back Pain

Postby tjfawlty » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:16 pm

Hi Sophie,
I have constant back pain. Sad to say I seem to block it out until I do something to remind me I'm not as fit as I used to be.
I also have constant leg and arm pains, particularly in my elbows.
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed from where initially posted, retitled and moved to a more suitable board.
tjfawlty
UKFM Newbie

Postby tich » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:20 pm

Hi yes i do all the time had it for over 7 years on good day i just get on with it on a bad day i can hardly get out of bed. The only thing i can do is sit with electric blanket and hot water bottles. Nothing shifts the pain just have to wait it out.
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tich
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:49 pm

I've split these posts off from where they were originally posted as they are on a different subject to what the topic they were attached to was about. I've also retitled them, and moved this new topic into a more suitable board.

When posting about something and you can't see an existing topic on the subject, rather than attachinges to any old topic, it is usually a better idea to start off a new topic on the appropriate board :happy-new-year-group-1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby debs67 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:21 am

Yes i do , have got prolasped disc in lower back. Back is constantly in pain , cant hoover for more than couple of minutes at a time , when i sit down , lie down in bed , stand by the sink washing dishes etc. Taking meds for it . Been like this for 3 years now.
debs67
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:49 pm

Yes I had lower back pain before the symptoms jumped on me all in one go in Jan this year. I've had bad spasms up and down my spine in the past but thankfully not for a while and they weren't often either. My main pain is in my lower back. Sometimes I get shooting pains, sometimes it just aches a lot. But I do have days where it's ok. It varies.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:35 pm

yes I have suffered from back pain for a very long time, but it is worse nowadays than it used to be.

nowadays I simply cannot stand up for more than about 4 or 5 minutes because the pain in my lower back, which comes on suddenly at that point, is almost instantly unbearable and I must sit down. in recent months it isn't just lower back pain anymore - I now get upper back/shoulder pain even when sitting or lying down.

I used to think it was because of falling off a horse many, many years ago (landed smack on my back and had a very very sore spine for a few weeks afterwards) :roll:

but since finding out I have hypermobility syndrome and slight curvature of my spine, I wonder if it's actually one or other of those that is causing it.

either way I don't attribute the lower back pain to the fibromyalgia purely because it has predated fibro by many years and also it doesn't feel 'muscley' in nature if you see what I mean.

my immense sympathies to everyone else on here who suffers back pain though. it can be excruciating and debilitating and because scroungers often use 'bad back' as an excuse it doesn't do any favours to those of us who really suffer.

:hugs: to all.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:55 pm

dazzleship wrote:

but since finding out I have hypermobility syndrome and slight curvature of my spine, I wonder if it's actually one or other of those that is causing it.

either way I don't attribute the lower back pain to the fibromyalgia purely because it has predated fibro by many years and also it doesn't feel 'muscley' in nature if you see what I mean.

my immense sympathies to everyone else on here who suffers back pain though. it can be excruciating and debilitating and because scroungers often use 'bad back' as an excuse it doesn't do any favours to those of us who really suffer.

:hugs: to all.

Aha, another scoliosis person :) When your spine curves, everything else goes out of alignment because the body is trying to keep itself balanced. Check yourself out in the mirror and you will probably see your hips and shoulders are at different levels and your head may be tilted to one side. So you can start off just with pain where the curve is but then end up with pain further up in your shoulders, neck and headaches as well.

My GP has said that he thinks my pain is mostly caused by the scoliosis because it is all comes from the spine - lower back, SI joints, thoracic spine, ribs, neck and shoulders. I don't get pain in my arms or legs or any of the additional symptoms that some people here get. That has made me question whether I even have fibro at all... But if I do, I can't tell what is caused by scoliosis and what by fibromyalgia. Yours is even more complicated because you have 3 conditions, so it is really impossible to separate them out and work out what is causing which symptom! Not that it really matters I suppose since you just have to try and manage the symptoms, no matter what the cause is.
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:47 am

hi Carolad

scoliosis, is that what it's called? the rheumy just said it was slightly curved at the bottom (she sort of traced down my spine with her finger, at first going straight down but then curving to my right at the bottom (like a backwards 'J' I suppose)

makes sense what you're saying about alignment though. I need to find meself a full length mirror and have a looksee :-)

does sound like yours is all spine-related, but as to whether you have fibro at all, well I see it as muscle pain being fibro and joint pain being non-fibro (in a simplistic way :-) ) so if you get muscle pain I would say that is fibro.

as for me having three conditions I suppose that does make me complicated :roll: :-)

again I put it down to - muscles are sore = fibro, joints are sore = hypermobility, back is sore = hypermobility or curvy spine.
and fatigue can be fibro or hypermobility.

nowadays I think of myself as one of those little wooden toys with the elasticated joints... :mrgreen:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems