Balance problems!!!

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Balance problems!!!

Postby Tel1 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:54 pm

Hi all
I was sent to the out of hours GP service at the hospital at the end of November as I kept having dreadful vertigo type feelings, even to the point I couidn't even lay down without going dizzy it was terrible... I even woke up from sleep in the middle of the night as
though I was falling off of a cliff....just terrible... it is not SO bad now, but I still have it. they told me at the hospital it was something called Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV).... they also said to me that people with MS and Fibro can have this.. so as I have Fibro, just wondered if any of you have had this....and how long did it last... As I say , I still have it, but it isn't as bad as it was, but what on earth can be done to get me right again as I can't carry on like this:))!! :yikes:
Tel1
UKFM Member

Re: Balance problems!!!

Postby mazd54 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:04 pm

I get that quite frequently, got tabs from Dr for it.
mazd54
UKFM Newbie

Postby Gaia » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:41 pm

I was diagnosed with that 4 years ago and it has got worse over the last 8 months. It started happening when I lay down in bed and gradually affected me during the daytime too. I have had such awful attacks of dizzyness that I have even fallen over several times - often without warning of a dizzy spell - it's just "WHAM" and down I go! :-o

I was referred to see a consultant in ENT last October and he said it was wrongly diagnosed as positional vertigo and it is in fact Meneriers Disease and nothing at all to do with my Fibro.

You might want to ask your GP to refer you to an ENT (Ear, nose, throat) consultant to get it fully checked out. There is no cure for it, but it can be controlled up to a point with medication.

Good luck!
Gaia
UKFM Member

Postby Tel1 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:41 pm

HI there...

Oh GOD!!! no!!! I thought it might be that as well...although I don't want to have this all the time :yikes: :yikes:
If I end up going to the ENT department I will have to wait and see what they say :yikes: eh:)) nightmare.
Tel1
UKFM Member

Postby Purpledot » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:06 am

I have constant balance/vertigo/dizziness issues, and these have always been my worst symptoms.

You definitely need to be seen by ENT, but make sure it's someone who is experienced in balance conditions (not all are).

I sympathise with what you're going through, and hope you manage to get some answers and help soon.

Unfortunately, my issues are caused by permanent and incurable damage to one ear, but this is not particulaarly common so the chances are yours can be diagnosed, treated and cured.

Good luck xx
Purpledot
UKFM Member

Postby LesleyD » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:27 am

I get this a lot. I suddenly feel very light headed, dizzy and want to be sick. I have been to ENT as GP thought I had an inner ear problem - but got all clear. Then came the Nuerologist she said that it was silent migraines - had never heard of that before. Anyway I have had these "funny turns" for a few years now and they come on at any time. Walking, sitting in work, at home even in my sleep they waken me up. I only got diagnosed in March/April last year with Fibro! Is this part of my Fibro :?:
LesleyD
UKFM Member

Postby Charmed » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:03 am

Yep I've had this for 4 years now; my surroundings spin and I go down with a thud! Leaves me feeling sick, shaky and it's extremely frightening. I told my GP about this and he just looked at me as though I was mad. So I've no idea whether it is part of Fibro or not, maybe others may know?

I now have an alarm fitted and a pendant to wear to get assistance when I fall, these can be obtained through social services and OTs and are means tested.

I refuse to venture out alone now, I only go outdoors with my PA, family or friends.
Charmed
UKFM Member

Postby Susan Stokes » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:33 am

I'm glad you raised this issue, I have had problems over the last year, not as bad as some of yours, but mainly feeling light headed, sick and listing to port when I stand up and walk about. Fortunately I have usually managed to stop myself falling (so far). I had put it down to a change in medication but it's worth getting it checked out.
Susan Stokes
UKFM Member

Postby annike » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:04 pm

How weird just been to doctors as had dizzy spell laying in bed scared me as a worrier always think worse plus just getting over 5week virus .My eyes ears and jaw hurt and when i eat plus head all weird :crazy: ,anyway went to doc he said fluid in my ears and could have sinus infection so on antibiotics now 3 days on still not right going to go back but confused is this cfs or fibro or just infection ,i know everyone different but what tests are there so i can find out ,thanks.
annike
UKFM Newbie

Postby widowsmight » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:21 pm

I had a sinus infection in the summer and the vertigo was unreal! I am always dizzy or stumbling from fibro but the dizziness from the sinus infection took it out of me. I've never been drunk in my life or done drugs but even lying down, it felt like floating down to another world.

Annike, it might take a while for the symptoms to fully go away but they eventually do.
widowsmight
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:07 pm

Susan Stokes wrote:I'm glad you raised this issue, I have had problems over the last year, not as bad as some of yours, but mainly feeling light headed, sick and listing to port when I stand up and walk about. Fortunately I have usually managed to stop myself falling (so far). I had put it down to a change in medication but it's worth getting it checked out.

Ditto!! Except I have never blamed my meds, just me being stupid...mine gets worse if I have been upright for a while.

I do get vertigo in bed, so bad my stomach flip flops, so not sure about that side of things. Getting used to new and unusual occurances that I just get on with it as best as possible. :)
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby Tel1 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:34 pm

Thanks ALL for your replies:))) it has helped a lot as I really do feel weird with it at times, and then your mind starts racing away as to what it might be, and if I going mental :yikes: :yikes: the hardest part for me is, of course we have all probably had the odd dizzy spell, but what I have had has gone on since the end of November and now of course it is affecting my :yikes: well being even though the doctors have said that it will go in the end... I hope it does otherwise I will have to start demanding that I sent to ENT consultant or neurology :yikes: thanks all, and I really feel for all you others who have the same problems.
Tel1
UKFM Member

Postby Holemru3 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:46 pm

I have recently started having this problem. My doctor has referred me to ENT as thinks I have mineres disease. I suffer with chronic migraine and ME as well. I told the doctor I now have tinnitus and I can feel it pulsating and also mentioned the dizziness and other symtoms . She said straight away sounds like mineres disease. Will post something when I've seen the ENT doctor.
Holemru3
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems