feel like I'm falling apart - literally:(

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

feel like I'm falling apart - literally:(

Postby dazzleship » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:09 pm

*sigh* I'd hoped I wouldn't need to post another of my 'I need help' threads on here for a while as I'd been doing reasonably well. but this week I'm feeling increasingly worse and I just don't know what to do.

I'll start out by saying I've put this thread in this part of the forum cos the problems I'm having are more to do with my HMS/Ehlers Danlos rather than the Fibro.

anyway. in the past week I've experienced the following:
pulled my thumb out lifting a log to put on the fire (this was a couple of days ago and it still doesn't feel right)
walked into doorframes several times when trying to go through them
bashed my hand or elbow on the desk at work (this and the one above make me feel like I don't always know where I am in space)
the other night I couldn't sleep cos of excruciating pain in my big toe
I reached for something and my elbow went out of place slightly and locked
I can't lift my left leg higher than a few inches cos my hip moves and feels like it will go out of place if I lift the leg any higher
my right ankle joint is regularly giving me intense aching pain

and generally when I'm walking about I feel like one of those wooden toys with elasticated joints - I just feel so loose and floppy.

:(

I just don't understand why the hypermobility syndrome is getting so much worse lately - or even why it has appeared at all. I mean, I've been hypermobile all my life so they tell me, yet I never used to feel loose and feel like joints were moving out of place. even when I was diagnosed with Fibro I never felt like this. all the hypermobility problems have started just in the last year or even less, and like I said above, they seem to be getting worse with alarming frequency.

I really wish I'd asked the rheumatologist this but I was trying to take in everything she said and I just didn't think, but I just want to understand why these problems have started in the first place? I saw my GP the other day but she didn't have any answers for me about this.

I just... I don't know. I need some advice and help... anyone please? :cry:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Re: feel like I'm falling apart - literally:(

Postby Charmed » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:51 am

Hi Dazzle,

I am unsure whether these things are due to HMS or Fibro, all I know is I have exactly the same thing but always put it down to Fibro.

I bang into door frames all the time and have some not so lovely bruises to show for it. I've pain in my big toes but discovered when x-rayed for planter fasciitis that it's arthritis :shock: The base of my thumbs have been sore for years. don't know why, HMS bending them back as a child maybe.... Brain fog... now I've forgotten what else you mentioned lol! Sorry.

Going to see rubbish GP on Tuesday,, as pain in back of neck, radiating down across shoulders, tops of arms and middle fingers. No doubt he will put that down to Fibro too! :roll:

It's ridiculous that we have to investigate these things ourselves.
Charmed
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:01 pm

Dazzle, what I've found over the years, not just from my experiences, but also from what others {incl those with other non~FM/HMS/EHD conditions} is that someone is newly dx'd with another condition, for a period of time, it tends to push itself to the front of everything, making you much more, even intensely, aware of things that happen that can aggravate/cause the condition to seem like it is flaring more, even worsening. This "pushing forward" of the condition isn't something that you realise is happening at first, but then you suddenly get what seems like an overload of it thru your body, which in turn triggers off the thoughts and feelings like you have mentioned here.

When I asked my GP about it, it was explained to me as being something like a new dx flare~up. It's as if, with it now having a name, it wants to show you what it can and might do flare~wise along your way to finding the best way to manage and live with this new/additional companion to FM etc.

In a lot of cases, these problems that suddenly seem much worse have actually been around for a fairly significant length of time, bubbling away in the background. And whilst they were there, not having a name/dx seemed to help them hide in the shadows a little more effectively, waiting fir the time that their name will be revealed. And when that happens, it then bursts out, announcing its presence, make itself felt for a while, and then gradually eases back to a point where, whilst you know that it is still lurking around, it does start to behave a little more suitably and bearably.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby dazzleship » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:01 pm

thanks for replies :-)

fluppy - I understand what you're saying and I see how knowing that something has a named cause makes it more apparent, but equally I do know that some of the symptoms I am having I simply have not had before. and it just worries me a wee bit cos it does seem like things are getting worse.

I'll just have to see how I goes I guess. :-?
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:40 pm

Hi dazzleship,

Spacial awareness for me went out the window years ago, if I can walk into it, rather than around it, then I will. I have to say, if it weren't for my partner holding me up and guiding me on the occasions I leave the house, I am sure I would have tripped over and walked into people, cars, light posts, etc.

As for the hyper-mobility, I have always been double jointed, which is why I was head hunted for the Australian Olympic Gymnastic team in 1981, but could not join :( Point is, it does vary in its ability to annoy. Some days I can be floppy, literally, other days, stiff as a board. I don't think there is anyway we can predicts its reason for being either good or bad, our body make-up and individuality to this condition does that.

I am truly sorry that you are having such a bummer of a time right now, but you will have a good week soon :)
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby lolabolla » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:16 pm

I also have HMS, loose joints, stretchy skin etc. and since childhood I have always 'got on with it' because I thought it was normal for my joints to feel this way.

The funny thing is, I wasn't actually diagnosed with HMS until 3 years ago when I was also diagnosed with Fibro.....I am now 55 :yikes:

I firmly believe that in my case it was not until the diagnosis was eventually reached that I began to pay any attention to the symptoms that I was experiencing.

When I was growing up in the 60's HMS had not been recognised, so all the sprains, dislocations, broken bones, knocks and bruises were just put down to me being clumsy by our GP's.

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:17 pm

thanks Queenie and Lolabella - good to know I'm not alone in this (although not good that any of us have to have all of this :-? )

Queenie, it helps to know that you have 'floppy' days and non-floppy days. cos I have that too, and it confuses me but now I know it's just how I am. :-)

Lolabella - it's interesting that you too were not diagnosed with the HMS until you had the fibro too. I believe myself (andthe same may apply to you) that all the years of things being too loose have put strain on the muscles and made things worse over time which is why these things become more apparent, you know?

there are so many things that I look back now and realise are symptoms of HMS / EDS but which were always ever just treated as individual separate things (sprains, torn tendon, bursitis, etc). now it all makes sense and I'm slowly coming to terms with it.

to paraphrase that character from The Fast Show, "this week I have been mostly having a floppy thumb" :mrgreen:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems