What's happening in the joints when clicking / popping HMS?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What's happening in the joints when clicking / popping HMS?

Postby Fairytaz » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:22 pm

Hi everyone

This is random question I know but as I still don't know a lot about hypermobility syndrome, I was curious what is happening when I pop and click?

I had loads of pressure in my knees an hour or so ago like someone grabbed my knees or something. I thought the stretches the physio gave me might help to loosen them maybe. After just doing one, I started clicking when I moved my knees. Nothing new I know. Water bottle helped a bit.

I know HMS is where collagen is weak or not produced properly but what's the noise that happens? It won't be bones as that's something different and very very painful so what is it? I guess I'll most likely kick myself when I get the answer lol no pun intended

Thank you :)
Fairytaz
UKFM Member

Re: What's happening in the joints when clicking / popping H

Postby dazzleship » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:25 am

hi

well when I get a popping/clicking noise it tends to be accompanied by a feeling of the bone moving in the joint so for me at least, I think it is the joint just moving slightly out of place.

but I don't know much about the subject.. still learning about it meself :-D
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:31 pm

I seem to remember it is gas escaping when the joints are separated....or something like that! I'm sure someone will explain it much better than me :lol:
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:32 pm

http://www.hopkinsortho.org/joint_cracking.html

"Cracking and popping of joints is usually normal and most of the time is nothing to be concerned about. Strangely enough the exact reason joints pop and snap is not totally understood. One theory is that the ligaments (tethers that hold the bones together) make these noises as they get tight rapidly when the joint is moving. In some instances, popping may be due to a tendon snapping over or around the joint. Another theory is that nitrogen bubbles in the fluid inside the joint are rapidly brought into or out of solution when the joint is manipulated, such as cracking the knuckles in the hand. These noises with movement of a joint, particularly the knee, may sound like folding stiff paper, and are called "crepitus". "
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:20 am

hmmm thanks for the info. Interesting yet icky at the same time :-D
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems