cold feet

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

cold feet

Postby debs67 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:42 pm

Suffer with cold feet and hands not just in the colder months but in the summer months too. My feet are even cold when i have socks on. Any ideas anyone .
debs67
UKFM Member

Re: cold feet

Postby denys » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:51 pm

Maybe see your doc as some members have spoken about being diagnosed with Raynaurds if it isnt that then I find fluffy socks better at keeping my feet warm and I have a little hand warmer bought for me at Christmas (shaped like a fox :-D ) and that helps too
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby carolad » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:01 am

I have Raynauds so always have cold hands and feet. I have recently discovered the joys of silk to keep me warm :) I wear silk socks under my normal socks (which are wool - also good for keeping warm). I also wear one or two pairs of silk glove liners under Sealskinz gloves - the best combination I've tried. Silk is very fine so is excellent for layering. I bought mine from Jasmine Silk. I can also recommend their silk vests and longjohns if the rest of your body gets cold :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby debs67 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:02 am

I had thought of rhynaurds disease but looking at images of it my hands nor feet dont change colour. I just get the coldness , tingling feeling which isnt nice. I have got O/A in both my hands could that have something to do with it. Will have to have another word with the gp , she will be fed up of seeing me lol.
debs67
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:22 am

debs67 wrote:Suffer with cold feet and hands not just in the colder months but in the summer months too. My feet are even cold when i have socks on. Any ideas anyone .

Yes I've had this for many many years. I'm not too worried about it as I'm used to it 8-) It can happen with thyroid issues which I have but being treated for x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:23 am

debs67 wrote:I had thought of rhynaurds disease but looking at images of it my hands nor feet dont change colour. I just get the coldness , tingling feeling which isnt nice. I have got O/A in both my hands could that have something to do with it. Will have to have another word with the gp , she will be fed up of seeing me lol.

Mine don't change colour either x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby debs67 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:27 pm

I have thyroid problems too, had it for many years. Didnt connect it with thyroid thou. So you can still.have raynaurds without your hands feet changing colour .
debs67
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:33 pm

I've had this my entire life too and am used to it by now. Tbh it's probably Reynauds but I'm not going to ask my GP about it because there's nothing they can do anyway, so I'll just carry on!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Theresa34 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:32 pm

Zia2014 wrote:I've had this my entire life too and am used to it by now. Tbh it's probably Reynauds but I'm not going to ask my GP about it because there's nothing they can do anyway, so I'll just carry on!

Same here :-D
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:54 pm

Zia2014 wrote:I've had this my entire life too and am used to it by now. Tbh it's probably Reynauds but I'm not going to ask my GP about it because there's nothing they can do anyway, so I'll just carry on!

There are drugs you can take for it...my Rheumatologist gave me a prescription for Nifedipine (I didn't ask for it!) but when I looked at the list of possible side-effects, I decided against taking them!

There are other natural remedies you can take, like gingko biloba (spelling?!) but I've tried them all and none of them made any difference to me.

I think the best thing to do is just wear lots of silk and wool layers :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby ixel-chick » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:23 pm

I've always, for as long as I can remember had cold feet and hands. HeatHolder socks are a heaven-sent! Other then that I'm often found sitting on my hands, and when possible I sit cross-legged, so I can sit on my feet, with my thighs heating up the frozen toes.
☐ Fibro Mode / ☑ Normal Mode
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby Patsb » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:26 pm

I suffer the opposite my feet are always far too hot drives me mad .
Patsb
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:07 pm

Patsb wrote:I suffer the opposite my feet are always far too hot drives me mad .

I've had that too. It stopped once I started Amitriptyline x My feet would feel like they were on fire.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:16 pm

carolad wrote:

There are drugs you can take for it...my Rheumatologist gave me a prescription for Nifedipine (I didn't ask for it!) but when I looked at the list of possible side-effects, I decided against taking them!

There are other natural remedies you can take, like gingko biloba (spelling?!) but I've tried them all and none of them made any difference to me.

I think the best thing to do is just wear lots of silk and wool layers :)

That's interesting, my cousin was told there was nothing to take and a couple of medical websites I was looking at ages ago said the same thing! I'd rather not take something for it anyway, it's rarely painful and I have far more things to worry about! :mrgreen:
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby carolad » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:25 pm

Zia2014 wrote:

That's interesting, my cousin was told there was nothing to take and a couple of medical websites I was looking at ages ago said the same thing! I'd rather not take something for it anyway, it's rarely painful and I have far more things to worry about! :mrgreen:

That's the way I feel too...it is a nuisance but it's not my main problem. I was actually annoyed at my Rheumatologist because he went on and on about the Raynauds as though it was the most important symptom and I had to keep bringing him back to my real problems! I had never expected to get treatment for it so I was surprised when he gave me the prescription... I don't know how effective it is, I don't know anyone who has taken it.

Although my hands and feet are cold 90% of the time, they occasionally go the other way and get very hot and red - a condition called erythromelalgia. There is a connection between the two conditions -http://www.raynauds.org.uk/associated-conditions/erythromelalgia-em
And one of the side-effects of taking Nifedipine is to have this burning and redness, so that is one of the reasons I decided against it :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems