cold feet

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: cold feet

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:52 pm

Sounds fair enough, I always think there are symptoms I can't always ignore (sometimes I can ignore the pain but other times it's too much), and the lack of sleep which varies. Most other symptoms or conditions I just put up with (ie. Reynauds, knee probs, IBS) because they don't usually affect me badly enough to warrant another pill.

If we don't know anyone who takes Nifedipine maybe most docs don't offer it?
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby carolad » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:01 pm

Zia2014 wrote:Sounds fair enough, I always think there are symptoms I can't always ignore (sometimes I can ignore the pain but other times it's too much), and the lack of sleep which varies. Most other symptoms or conditions I just put up with (ie. Reynauds, knee probs, IBS) because they don't usually affect me badly enough to warrant another pill.

If we don't know anyone who takes Nifedipine maybe most docs don't offer it?

It is recommended by NICE though, so I think is fairly standard practice in the UK: http://cks.nice.org.uk/raynauds-phenomenon#!scenario

It may depend on the severity though - mine has definitely got worse in the past couple of years and now my fingers go numb throughout the year, not just in cold weather. They were 'dead' when I went to see the Rheumatologist on a warm spring day - which I think is why he made more of it than I did! It makes sense to try changes in lifestyle first and only go down the drug route if that doesn't work. I expect most people don't pursue it with their GP and I'm sure a lot of them turn it down if offered it for the same reasons that I did :-)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:22 pm

Oh, that makes it even stranger! My cousin has it badly so I'm shocked.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby carolad » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:15 pm

Zia2014 wrote:Oh, that makes it even stranger! My cousin has it badly so I'm shocked.

It's probably the usual story - it depends on the individual Doctor, some are proactive and others don't want to offer you anything :roll: I don't know if it is an expensive drug, whether that has anything to do with it...

But if your cousin is keen to try a treatment for Raynaud's, it's probably worth her while printing off the Guidelines for her GP :-) It does seem to cause significant side effects in most people so it may not be worth it. But you don't know until you try I suppose...
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:25 pm

I'll pass that info on, thanks x
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Dog Lady » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:27 pm

My feet are always cold, I usually wear a pair of normal socks under a pair of heat holders and at night I sleep in a pair of fleecy lined slipper socks from next. My hands are usually warm when my feet are cold and oddly enough when my hands do cool down my thumbs are on fire. :-?
Dog Lady
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:08 am

I have always had cold feet, all my life for as long as I can remember. they are usually stone cold to the touch.

the other morning it was -8 :shock: and I was scraping my car without putting my gloves on. my fingers started to hurt and wouldn't stop hurting even once I'd put my gloves on and got in my nice warm car, for the next 10-15 minutes until my hands finally warmed up.

hubby says his hands don't hurt when they get cold, so I guess the pain is fibro related? no idea. GP is uninterested.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:47 pm

dazzleship wrote:hubby says his hands don't hurt when they get cold, so I guess the pain is fibro related? no idea. GP is uninterested.

Mine always did that, way before fibro, so I think it's more likely to be poor circulation/Reynauds/similar.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby dazzleship » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:15 pm

Zia2014 wrote:
dazzleship wrote:hubby says his hands don't hurt when they get cold, so I guess the pain is fibro related? no idea. GP is uninterested.

Mine always did that, way before fibro, so I think it's more likely to be poor circulation/Reynauds/similar.

you're probably right Zia.. :-) I too have had this particular symptom since before fibro. (but I only just kinda realised that my hands hurt and hubby's don't :roll: :lol: )

I've been researching Reynauds and it can be associated with HMS/EDS so it probably is that in my case.

interestingly my mum definitely had Raynauds she had the whole chilblains and blue/white/red skin thing although I don't have those.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:39 pm

My cousin has it and I always thought I didn't because my hands don't change colour. Through reading about it recently, I discovered that doesn't always happen anyway, so it could still be that.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Previous

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems