Rheum appointment for dx

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Rheum appointment for dx

Postby Dog Lady » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:25 pm

Hi folks

I have my appointment with the rheumatologist on weds for diagnosis and starting to get a bit worried about it as I don't know what to expect.

I've been asked to take a sample in.

Why do they need a sample?
Will I be expected to strip off and gown up?
Does it hurt a LOT when they press on the trigger points?
Roughly how long will the appointment take?

Been trying to lose weight as I've put a bit on and don't feel happy with my tummy so stripping off is daunting. I think I'll feel a little more comfortable if I had some idea of what to expect.

Thanks
Sally
Dog Lady
UKFM Member

Re: Rheum appointment for dx

Postby jayanne1311 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:40 pm

Please don't worry. I had my appt in November and yes I did take a urine sample( you can ask for a specimen bottle at your Gp surgery, I also had height,weight and blood pressure measured.Yes I had to undress but I had a gown to wear.Yes the trigger points hurt when pressed but the doctor was experienced and tried her best to hurt me as little as possible. Hope this will relieve some worries and please don't worry about your shape she/he won't be interested unless it is causing a problem Good luck, I have just had my second appt and been discharged back to my GP
jayanne1311
UKFM Member

Postby Charmed » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:40 pm

I dare say there may be variations in different hospitals. I wasn't asked for a sample and was kept fully clothed, but yeah he pressed on my sorest bits :cry: The whole process took about 20/30 mins. I have to say I was less than impressed with both his examination and his attitude. Although he did put me forward for an MRI, which I had a few weeks later.

So nothing to worry about and best of luck x
Charmed
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:34 pm

I was reading that the tender point test isn't used so often now so he may not do that with you. Good luck, hope it goes well ☺️
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:03 pm

They didn't do the trigger points with me, just read what my GP had already done. They did ask me for a sample but only after I'd just been to the loo!!! So they never got one :roll:
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:40 pm

Dog Lady wrote:Hi folks

Why do they need a sample?
Will I be expected to strip off and gown up?
Does it hurt a LOT when they press on the trigger points?
Roughly how long will the appointment take?

The sample i think is just standard routine. You can always do a test when you arrive.

No, but you may be asked to remove certain items of clothing if the consultant wants to look and examine joints, look for any inflammation, some do reflex tests. If your not comfortable with this then say as they will understand. You can have a female nurse present if that helps.

The tender point test can be carried out fully clothed.

The trigger points are painfull when touched but they now how much this can hurt so they shouldnt press too hard and with some one with fibro they dont need to press that hard. You can always ask the consultant to go gently.

A normal standard first time appointment can be around 30mins (approx) This gives them time to go through all your history, do some examinations and then talk to you afterwards about there findings and any diagnoses.

This is a link to a topic that will give you some more information

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17527
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Dog Lady » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:31 pm

Thanks, that's really helpful.

:-D
Dog Lady
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems