question from a newbie

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

question from a newbie

Postby lizbeth » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:21 am

Hello everyone :), I'm new here and not quite sure where to ask a question but I'll go ahead here and hope for the best.

I'm due to have shoulder surgery soon and I'm wondering if I'm likely to have any fibro problems afterwards. I just wanted to ask if anyone else has had problems after having surgery?

Many thanks in advance.
lizbeth
UKFM Newbie

Re: question from a newbie

Postby stephdawn » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:06 am

Hi lizbeth. I've had quite a few surgeries done since being diagnosed . My main advice would be to take each day as it comes once you've had the op. Don't try and do to much after. Rest as much as possible. You will proberbly be asked to do some exercises after but if you explain to them your condition then hopefully they will understand. Each of us are different and yes it could bring on maybe a few flare ups but try not to worry. I've had this condition over 10yrs now and I'm still learning how to try and pace myself. If you need to chat more then please don't hesitate to contact me. Please try not to worry. Take care. And I hope every thing goes ok for you. :)x
stephdawn
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:11 am

I've jiffled you over into here lizbeth as it's a more suitable board for what you are asking about.

It's difficult to say one way or another if there will be any FM~related issues after having surgery due to the vague and unpredictable nature of the condition. For some, they have had the mother of all flares afterwards, whereas for others there may have been very little in the way of flare~ups, and of course the many, many possibilities which exist between one and and the other on the FM spectrum.

Maybe if you make a plan for how bad things have been during your more serious flare~ups, as in meds, aids and other stuff that was of benefit when going thru it, then you are as prepared as you can be for it. And if things turn out to be much less intense than you were expecting, then it's an added bonus.

Also make sure that all the staff involved in your care whilst you are in hospital are aware that you have FM. That way they will be able to take it into consideration when looking at what you may need both pre and post~op.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Toxic » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:29 pm

Hi Lizbeth, I have had shoulder surgery to both shoulders within 7yrs of each other and both whilst I had Fibromyalgia. I think the main thing I learn't from both is that the anesthetic can really knock your system for a few weeks (up to 6wks for me) post op. Just more fatigue and lethargy, so rest is very important. However saying that, I really rested and took things VERY slow with my right shoulder - in a sling for 6wks, no movement, then Physio for months after. Took a year to recover full use of my shoulder as I ended up with a frozen shoulder. The second op on the left shoulder was last June. Was told to have the sling on as I needed, but especially for sleeping. If I was just around the house I could walk without it. I definitely think this helped with my recovery. It's under 6mnths and my shoulder is almost 100% again, without any physio (couldn't afford it) and lots of use. My Dr said the pain will stop me, and he was right. If I was sore I would take it slow. I would recommend you check your Dr's preference for recovery and obviously according to your surgery. Mine were both for removal of Calcium deposits and included similar surgery as a Rotator cuff repair. Good luck!!
Toxic
UKFM Newbie

Postby lizbeth » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:09 am

Thank you all for your replies and for shifting my post to a better place.

I'm still learning about fibro and me as I was only diagnosed in Oct, I think my worst flare was in Jan after a steroid injection in my knee which made my blood sugars rise (I'm type 1 diabetic too), I was in bed for most of 4 weeks and still haven't got back to my normal, I will have a think about what I needed then that helped and write it down or I'll forget, I'm still trying to learn to pace myself and haven't found my limit yet but I hope I can be sensible after surgery.

I had the same surgery on my left shoulder and it took 18 months for full recovery so I have that time limit in my head and will be pleased if it doesn't take that long. I had bone spurs removed from the joint and a ligament release as the shoulder had frozen too, I have been warned that my shoulder might freeze after the op but I'm hoping that won't happen. I guess I will just have to wait and see and make sure I have everything in my bedroom to make life easy.

Thanks again for the advice, I will refer back many times to it for help :).
lizbeth
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems